Main Menu
  • Welcome to SSA Sierra Sportbike Association | Reno Nevada Motorcycle Trackday Weekend Riding Club.

Rain shell

Started by Tahoebrian5, May 09, 2015, 08:25:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tahoebrian5

Anyone have any suggestions for a rain shell?  I'm looking for something that will keep me dry, fit over my leathers and not flap in the wind. Stretch fabric would be good. I rode with a shell yesterday and it flapped so bad at 60mph it blurred my vision from the vibrations!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

dub

The only thing I really know of are those clear rain suits that are meant to go over leathers for a rain race. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/agv-sport-2-piece-rain-suit or http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-racing-rainsuit
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

Tahoebrian5

Those look a bit too much like a full body condom

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

dub

That's precisely what they are.

RichVee4

I use a standard breathable rain shell that I found on sale, use one size larger so it fits over my mc jacket.  The wife and I have used them and they work well.  They have a hood so that has to be tucked in but we stayed dry.  Another benefit is they can worn at the destination if needed and looks better than a plastic jacket.  

Other people I know like Frog Toggs rain gear.  Available at motorcycle superstore.
Live long and prosper \V/

Tahoebrian5

I've scoured the Internet for hours and no one makes an anti flap rain shell. Crazy! It doesn't seem that hard, would just need two layers. Stretchy outer layer like netting or something, and waterproof slightly oversized inner. Somebody invent that please!

dub

I don't think there's a market for it. People who ride in the rain aren't wearing 1 piece leather suits.

Tahoebrian5

GreenMachine

I'm applying leather conditioning wax to my set for water protection.  I'm less concerned about being wet than I am about my leathers cracking after they dry out.  I got wax from a SSA member, SLmoto...who it just so happens does a fair amount of business with leather goods.

I will be bringing my windbreaker too, in case it gets worse than expected.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

Tahoebrian5

Good find Dub. The Respro jackets look like the ticket