Main Menu

Oregon or Bust II, Memorial Day Coast Ride 05/23/15 - 05/25/15

Started by GreenMachine, February 23, 2015, 11:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slmoto

I don't have any experience with the other routes but I like the idea of the Boonville stretch. I drove that bit to Boonville last year in a car and all I was thinking about was that I wish I was on a bike instead. It's beautiful and so long is there isn't a festival or something going on there shouldn't be much traffic.

dub

Quote from: GreenMachine on May 18, 2015, 03:17:59 PM175 looks crappy.  I wonder if it's been repaved since the pictures were taken.  I've seen that before.

I think the pavement sucks on the east side, in Lake County, but on the west side it's been repaved recently. 

Quote from: GreenMachine on May 18, 2015, 03:17:59 PMReally like the Boonville - Navarro stretch.

Quote from: slmoto on May 18, 2015, 03:22:22 PM
I don't have any experience with the other routes but I like the idea of the Boonville stretch. I drove that bit to Boonville last year in a car and all I was thinking about was that I wish I was on a bike instead. It's beautiful and so long is there isn't a festival or something going on there shouldn't be much traffic.

You guys are talking about 128 from Boonville, through Navarro, to the coast?
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

RichVee4

Scanned this section of my Butler map, my go to for exploring new areas.  I would be a little hesitant to get too far off the beaten path if no one has first hand experience of road conditions.  Butler rates roads for mc travel, yellow best, red 2nd best, orange 3rd.   If it has a little green triangle with a number that is a paved mountain trail aka goat road.   

Right now option 1 sounds great, 9hr 24min.  Can we label them option 1, 2 etc?  Option 1 (no berryessa or lost coast)   

Start time, open to anytime.  I agree, nice to get a early start so we can spend some time enjoying the ride and get into Arcata at a reasonable time.  If we target getting to Arcata at 5ish we need to leave by 7am.  That may be tight to make it by 5 but may be hard for some to leave earlier.

Live long and prosper \V/

slmoto

Quote from: dub on May 18, 2015, 05:56:51 PM
You guys are talking about 128 from Boonville, through Navarro, to the coast?

Yeah, 128 and 253 is what I was referring to. 253 I drove just last year, 128 I drove a few years back. 253 has a lot of tight turns, if I'm remembering that one right you do need to keep an eye out for gravel dragged out by cars using the turn outs but that could have been exaggerated a little that weekend because when I drove it there was a large festival in Boonville that brought out a lot more out of town traffic than usual. If I remember right 128 was a beautiful road through the trees nice pavement, possibility of damp spots due to heavy tree cover close to the coast and sections run next to a river/stream so a lot of damp air but that's trying to remember back 3-4 years ago...

GreenMachine

The other departure consideration is getting through the 30 minutes or so of cooler morning temps between Boca and Soda Springs.  The 7:00 AM temp forecast for Saturday is 41°.  8:00 AM is 45°.  For comparison, 6:00 AM is 39°.

Rich, can you speak for Monica and Flamecrow as far as departure time? 

I think Dub and I are of the mindset to leave earlier than later, while Scott and TB5 are thinking later and Jerome texted me saying he wants to leave at 9:30 on Saturday.  Not sure why he's been silent.  Maybe he cannot post or forgot his login.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

flamecrow

I'm up for any departure time. The excitement is definitely building up. I hope my tank bag (yes, I bought one to be used as a pillow while riding) and corsa wind screen comes in tomorrow! I feel like this trip is going to be a nice vacation but at the same time I know I'm going to need a vacation after 3 days of :grnbike

Weather has been so crapy every weekend, I haven't gotten any seat time since the last time we rode =)

A DRAGON

Hey guys.  You guys plan on riding.  That's nice.  Did lake beressa last year with my Harley Girl. It was worth the effort.

LOST COAST hwy. Isn't worth the effort.  Unless they repaved that goat trail. Last time i was on it.   I swear the road was built in the 20's and had been patched ever since. Very difficult to even do 55 on that road.

I'm also wanting to leave later like 9am.. battling the COLD just isn't as good to me anymore.

Please remember after riding twisties 2 straight days hard. Day 3 well be your coming to Jesus moment. That's been my experience.   But i will go where the crew wants to go. My 2 cents
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

A DRAGON

I like Hwy 12.    5 miles puff 15 and 20 mph turns. Very nice
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

GreenMachine

Dragon, I can bring some of those disposable rubber gloves.  That should keep your hands from getting cold at all.  In the past I've used paper napkins inside my glove at the knuckles.  Paper makes for warm whatever.  You could consider putting newspaper on your chest under your jacket as well.

You'll only be exposed for about 30 minutes, in the section I mentioned on either side of Truckee.  The rest I imagine we'll be stripping the warm gear off.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

A DRAGON

I guess i could also move into the 21st Century and use hand warmers our just spend some money and plug in.
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

GreenMachine

I'll bring two sets of those disposable gloves in case you and someone else wants to give them a try.  I've been over the pass when it was snowing, on a similar ride in fact.  The cold doesn't last long in the scheme of things.  By Nevada City, we'll be comfortable for sure.

GreenMachine

Scrubbed in a new rear tire tonight on Geiger.  Had to replace my rear disc pads.  Good thing I checked them.  The greenmachine is cleaned up and ready.  First stop on Saturday will be Boonville.

I'm joking.

dub

I just had two brand new tires mounted this afternoon at SPL.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

GreenMachine

Quote from: flamecrow on May 18, 2015, 10:20:23 PM
I'm up for any departure time. The excitement is definitely building up. I hope my tank bag (yes, I bought one to be used as a pillow while riding) and corsa wind screen comes in tomorrow! I feel like this trip is going to be a nice vacation but at the same time I know I'm going to need a vacation after 3 days of :grnbike

Weather has been so crappy every weekend, I haven't gotten any seat time since the last time we rode =)
I just hope you're still with us when we make it half way to the coast.  Dub will back me up on this.  We've had our fair share of riders who have bitten off more than they can chew. 

I think you'll be fine though.  Let the excitement drive you and keep you fresh.  Remember to tell yourself to relax as much as you can.  If you're tense, squeezing the tank with your knees or clutching the grips until your hands are numb, break that habit. 

This ride adventure is going to be epic!

GreenMachine