Main Menu

Oregon or Bust II, Memorial Day Coast Ride 05/23/15 - 05/25/15

Started by GreenMachine, February 23, 2015, 11:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

I like all the ideas and I'm not adverse to them for splitting the group.  That's normally atypical of our rides, but so long as there's at least two riders who venture off and both have cell phones and keep in contact with riders from the other group(s), it shouldn't be a problem.

We did a similar route on the 2013 Day 1 ride to the one you proposed.  Berryessa was mostly a bust though and we missed one of the big turn-offs for the twisties on the back side of the lake.  The first stretch of hwy 1 was kind of too, due to holiday traffic.  What I like about going via hwy 20 through to Fort Bragg, is the Willitts section in between and the Leggett section up north. Both kick-ass.  Highly recommended.  Although, we might get some takers for doing that route for the Solstice ride in the summer.  It isn't a stretch to do hwy 20, Fort Bragg and Leggett, then reverse and go back home the same way in a day.  I've done it for the Solstice ride solo and it was a blast.

Day 2, I was thinking we'd try to push it a little further north, like to Gold Beach, OR.  Love the idea of getting food to take to some place with cliffs and a view.   The counterclockwise loop from Arcata to Happy Camp could put us thereabouts by 10:30 AM, even with a gas stop and the planned photo-op on 96.  Was thinking of going a few miles past it on 96 too, before returning and taking the bypass north of HC.

The planned Day 1 & 3 route is kind of dull, from the standpoint we'd be riding the same road to/from.  What it does afford though, is about the shortest route so that we can focus on Day 2.  And it does include hwy 36 both ways, so for a lot of riders to stick that feather in their cap is a big deal.

But I like the ideas.  Let's keep it open to suggestions.  Maybe we'll have an earlier departing group and a later departing group for Day 1. 
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Tahoebrian5

I'm happy as long as the days are long and full of turns and good scenery
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

GreenMachine

See OP for more details about Saturday's Memorial Day Weekend Oregon or Bust ride.

And some music to get you in the mood, while thinking about and prepping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8StG4fFWHqg

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

slmoto

Thanks for putting in all that route work Dub!

I'd be good with any of the options. Preference though for day one I like "Day 1" and "Day 1, shorter option" since there are some sections in there I haven't personally done yet.

Day two, I like the loop "Day 2, full twistys" looks like more variety than an up and back, I've also spent quite a bit on the coast already and would like to see a bit more of the inland. GM's suggestion of Gold Beach sounds like it could be easily added on at the time depending on how we're holding up.
I like the lunch idea of grab and go somewhere scenic to eat.

"Day 3, via buck's lake" looks appealing, the extra 20 miles are fairly negligible in the grand scheme of this trip, although that may be easy to say right now not having yet been sitting on the bike seat for 1k+ miles.

Mel

It sounds like you guys are going to have a great time on this trip and wishing you all the best of luck! All this chatter in this thread about getting in shape for the long ride did make me chuckle a bit and think about how soft this generation of riders are :)! I remember back in 1977 my brother rode his little RD400 from Santa Cruz, CA to Seattle, WA two up with his wife on the back...no prep, just grabbed a tank bag, a backpack, and took off...about 1800 miles round trip 8)! Now don't get your panties in a twist, but back in the day we rode what we had and made do...no matter the conditions ;)!

RichVee4

Is it Friday yet??  counting down the days.  Bikes are ready to go and just need to pack.  

For route if the weather cooperates might join you guys on the loop on day 2, would like to see more of the coastal mtns. Day 3 36/ Bucks lake would be fun, especially if we did a different route on day 1.   Day 1 would be open to cutting over at Willits to the coast and following hwy 1 N.  Dub's map "Day 1 even shorter" but skipping lost coast, been there and done that.  The effort and road is not worth the scenic reward once you get to the coast.   Best views of the coast are N of Fort Bragg.   Taking out lost coast makes it 9hr, 438 miles.
Live long and prosper \V/

GreenMachine

Uh-oh.  We're already thinking more miles?  :evil1  I like this group!  I'm for looping the out and back days rather than the more direct routes.

Again though, everyone should chime in to give their preference.  No voice means you're good with what has been brought forth.

Dub's Day 1 shorter route is one we've traveled many times and is the quickest route from Reno to the coast.  Solstice rides in the past have departed just after dawn and arrived in Fort Bragg around lunch time (~12:30 PM).  A dawn departure wouldn't be necessary, but recommended.  If we left at 8:00 - 8:30 AM, we'd probably need to stop for those with hunger pains around Clear Lake, about 250 miles out.

GreenMachine

Mel, your words have a lot of truth, but 1,200 miles in three days on a sportbike should be sufficient for some accolade.  No doubt the bikes of the past were torturous machines.  Heck, my 1980s sportbike had one of those thick foam seats that was suppose to be comfortable.  Instead it just dug in and made every point of contact painful.  It came with two seats in fact, a Corbin and the stock.  The Corbin was just brutal.  I hated it.  In those days just making it to Sacramento was enough to make one rethink this whole two-wheel transportation thing.  :rant

Mel

GM, not taking away at all the 1200 miles in 3 days, that is outstanding! I was just razzing you about all the talk of getting in shape for the ride...hell just get on that sumbitch and ride ;D!

slmoto

Quote from: GreenMachine on May 18, 2015, 07:56:00 AM
If we left at 8:00 - 8:30 AM, we'd probably need to stop for those with hunger pains around Clear Lake, about 250 miles out.

I'm not opposed and can handle an earlier start but my preference would be an 8-8:30am start if we're not facing a time crunch. Unless we have something going on when we arrive it doesn't seem like we need to be in a hurry to go hang out in a hotel. I don't see issue in stopping for lunch if necessary, something quick and easy like a sandwich should suffice and get us back on the road quickly if we do need to stop for lunch.

dub

Glad to see you guys have weighed in on route options.

Before I go any further: In my opinion, you have full veto power, GM. You organized this weekend and it's your show, I'm just along for the ride. Ultimately we will do any route you decide on. It's not like those roads are going anywhere, they can always be ridden in the future.

Day 1
Ok, Scott likes the longer routes, GM doesn't want to do hwy 20 because that's the Solstice Ride route, Rich doesn't want to do the Lost Coast. Here are ideas for a compromising route.

Day 1, Berryessa, no Lost Coast.  This route is the same as my original long Day 1, but hits the entire Avenue of the Giants and cuts out the Lost Coast. GM, you mentioned last time you were down near Berryessa you missed a turn? That wont be happening this time thanks to the magic of GPS.

Day 1, hwy 20 to Clear Lake. This is the shorter route, except we get off hwy 20 before Clear Lake, then hit all the same twistys West towards the coast as the longer option. Again, entire Avenue of the Giants and skipping Lost Coast.

Day 2

Sounds like we are all in agreement. We will do the counterclockwise loop through Hoopa and Happy Camp. If Rich and Monica want to take it easy and have a leisurely Day 2 up the coast, we will meet them along the way. Otherwise we can all do the twisty loop.
The problem with Gold Beach is that the hwy returns to sea level, so there aren't any scenic overlooks.
How about we ride north into Gold Beach, grab lunch at Ray's Food Place, then turn around and ride 10 minutes back to Cape Sebastian State Park and eat right here.

Shorter, scenic to Gold Beach.

Full loop to Gold Beach.

Day 3
We'll take hwy 36 back, then seems like Buck's Lake is the favorite, as opposed to staying on hwy 36 east of I-5, then dropping south at Lake Almanor.

Day 3, via Buck's Lake.

Assuming I know what route we're doing before late Friday night, I will convert these Google maps to GPS routes for myself and anyone else who wants. We wont need to waste time and miles on wrong turns.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

GreenMachine

SL, there's actually a cascade effect for doing a dawn start.  I'm not accustomed to dawn rides either, but least of all worries is time spent lounging at the hotel, which just doesn't happen on these rides.  The benefits would be as follows:

1) get a lot of the mundane miles out of the way when nobody is on the road.  Less traffic + group of 8 = easy and safer passing opportunities.
2) the added hours gained allow for laps, if you like twisties.  Williitts and Leggett come to mind
3) more time for leisurely stopping along Ave of the Giants/Hwy 1 for several photo ops
4) adding the twisties on the back side of Lake Berryessa
5) checking in earlier at the motel, dumping off cargo, and perhaps getting situated for sunset along the coast; places like Trinidad State Park and/or grab a brew in Eureka at the Lost Coast Brewing Company (something we can actual do on Day 2 as well).
6) and with the added hours, it should allow for a more conservative pace overall

Trinidad, CA (15 miles north of Arcata)

Eureka, CA (8 miles south of Arcata)

Mel, you should shadow us over the next three days so you can dog those of us who built up to this ride.   Let it not be said that you would, but couldn't because of something as innocuous as a dead battery on the FZ.  ;D

GreenMachine

Dub, my veto is for everyone to feel like they got to have fun.  We've taken some excursions before that didn't pan out.  My preference would be to stick with known winning routes, unless there are others equally as good.  Will lead or follow, so long as there's someone near the front  and rear with a detector.

As for keeping the group together, like I said, I'm not against splitting off either for the crazies with a wild hair :evil1.  I'll PM everyone soon to get their cell numbers.

The day 1 routes are a little different from traditional.  Any route around the bottom of Berryessa is kind of a drag, due to holiday crowds and traffic.  East and north sides though were open two years ago.  I cannot map it using the new improved Google Maps, it has been dysfunctionally broken by Google.  I can only do city to city, which really doesn't help.

Day 2, I think we'll put navigation in your capable hands.  I like it all!

:thumbup

dub

Quote from: GreenMachine on May 18, 2015, 10:33:38 AM
5) checking in earlier at the motel, dumping off cargo, and perhaps getting situated for sunset along the coast; places like Trinidad State Park and/or grab a brew in Eureka at the Lost Coast Brewing Company (something we can actual do on Day 2 as well).

Oh yes I like this.

Ok, let's nix the Southern portion around Berryessa. Day 1, no Berryessa, no Lost Coast

As far as traffic goes, yeah, it's a holiday weekend, there's gonna be traffic. We could hit some of the roads less traveled, but they may not be smooth fast sweepers like you guys like.

Here's a "low traffic" route: 175 to Old River Rd, to Orr Springs Rd, to Comptche-Ukiah Rd, to 1.

I haven't been on some of those roads west of Clear Lake, but I have researched them before. 175 between Lakeport and Hopland (known as Hopland Grade) is a perennial favorite, I get the feeling it's like Mosquito Ridge Rd. Sounds like the East side is a little rough, but the West side was just repaved. 253 Is said to be about 20 miles of twisty heaven. And 128 From Navarro to 1 is supposed to be a nice, tree covered, twisty road.

Yes, the new Google Maps isn't as good as the old Google Maps, but I figured out how to make it work. Do city to city first, then drag and drop the route, but you can only have like 10 waypoints to you have to do it carefully. When you drag the route, the new point you just added shows up as a circle with a square in it. If you click once on that marker it will remove it.

Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

GreenMachine

Ooo, I like the Orr Springs road.  I think I traveled it by car one time.  Very light on traffic and some redwoods.  Could be better than Willitts.  That's scary!  Looks like a winner.

175 looks crappy.  I wonder if it's been repaved since the pictures were taken.  I've seen that before. 

Really like the Boonville - Navarro stretch.

What do you guys think?