Main Menu

Oregon or Bust II, Memorial Day Coast Ride 05/23/15 - 05/25/15

Started by GreenMachine, February 23, 2015, 11:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

Not at all.  If I need to get my burn in, I can also turn around for another lap, but I doubt I'm in shape for that yet.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

slmoto

Quote from: GreenMachine on April 16, 2015, 08:25:08 AM
Not at all.  If I need to get my burn in, I can also turn around for another lap, but I doubt I'm in shape for that yet.

Sounds good. I'm down to ride both days if you want, Sun. I was going to watch the races in the morning but can ride after. If I can muster up the motivation I'll try and keep a faster pace, I've got a little more in me than last time when I approached it as a more leisurely ride, but not much so don't get your hopes up.  ;D

GreenMachine

Your pace was exceptionally good considering you're foregoing pull-power from your legs, relying exclusively on push-power. 

After the races tomorrow and anytime after 2 PM works best for me. 
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

It will be great to ride with Jerome. It's like 2010 all over again.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

GreenMachine

Okay, we have our eight riders.  Everyone who committed early is coming:

GM, TB5, RichVee4 & Mrs., Slmoto, Flamecrow, Dub & A Dragon.

OH MAN, THIS IS GOING TO BE GREAT!  Bring your camera and your bathing suit, because we're going to be riding the twisties, taking pictures, visiting and riding the coast, riding hwy 36 to AND from, stopping in the redwoods, and partying as much as we can stand.

Some of these roads I will be familiar with and for a brief portion into Oregon, it'll be as new to me as to you.  I believe Dub had done the pass north of Happy Camp.  If so, he can provide tips on riding it or sites to take in along the way.  That goes for any of you who may have insight on some hidden treasures to check out while we're passing through on Day 2.

Along with the coastal views, we'll also be passing through Big Foot country.  There are two life sized Sasquatches to get your picture with.  One is in Willow Creek.  The other is in Happy Camp.  Good photo-op.

Our ride plan is to stop for fuel and for a brief rest every 100 miles or so, as that is the lowest common denominator for our bikes.  I'd like to go longer, but I think so long as we're not stopping every 50 miles and taking all day at the rest stops or stopping due to someone's lack of fuel or potty planning, we should be able to make reasonable time.  Maybe stop for a photo-op here and there, but let's be quick about it. Agreed?  We'll have plenty of opportunity on Day 2 to do the fun stuff.

I'll post more as we get closer.  

Only thing left to do is think positive thoughts for fair weather.

GreenMachine

Some of you haven't been thinking positively!  >:(

GreenMachine

On the brighter side, I have confirmation that everyone has reservations where we're staying.   And frankly, showers won't deter our adventure.  Full-on rain will, but not a shower or two or three.  We can ride around or through stuff like that, as we've done in the past.

RichVee4

Starting to pay closer attn to the weather too.  Hoping its a good sign its crappy this weekend, to early to tell for Memorial day.  

Any clues on this "Special Announcement"?
Live long and prosper \V/

GreenMachine

Ha! Not probably what U were hoping, just a heads-up for our group that the big day is approaching. Plus, this ride is kind of a big deal, so I wouldn't want anyone to overlook it, being that we made up the ride back in February.

I'm getting ants in my pants already in anticipation. Sooo want the forecast to clear up and be great for us. Watching the 2013 replay. It's about to end.  :'(  Gets me every time.

dub

Quote from: GreenMachine on May 08, 2015, 08:27:57 PMI believe Dub had done the pass north of Happy Camp.  If so, he can provide tips on riding it or sites to take in along the way.

If I remember correctly, I thought it was going to be a very tight, twisty, bumpy forest service road, but it was not. It was standard width, with a double yellow the whole way. Most of it was in dense forest, but every once in a while there is a clearing with a view.
I rode it just after sun up, at like 8am, so my pictures turned out crappy with a bunch of lens flare.
Here are a few shots that aren't very good, which is why I have never posted them before.

GreenMachine

What time of year were you trekking through there?  Looks like a playground! :evil1

Tahoebrian5

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

dub

Quote from: GreenMachine on May 13, 2015, 07:52:46 AM
What time of year were you trekking through there?  Looks like a playground! :evil1

August 25, 2013.

Tahoebrian5

According to Accuweather, the weekend in Arcata is cloudy and 60 degrees, 2% chance of precipitation. I can live with that!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

dub

I have thoughts on the route...

I like day two. I have never done that section of 299 right out of Arcata, nor that north/south section of 96 to Happy Camp. It's been a long time since I came all the way down from Oregon on 101. So scenic. That's a good loop, I agree we'll probably want to go counterclockwise. I also like that if anyone doesn't want to do the inland section, they can take the 'short/scenic' choice and meander up the coast, meet us somewhere on 101 then we can all come back down together.

As far as day 1 & 3; taking the same route there and back seems like a waste when there are so many amazing roads in NorCal. I definitely want to ride 36, so we should do that one way, but how about something different the other way?

Here's a suggestion for day 1

Day 1

Ok, that may be a bit long. Here's a slightly shorter option for day 1 that skips Berryessa. Keep in mind that it will be day 1 and you will be fresh. Also, if it tires you out too much you can take the short/scenic option on day 2 to recover.  Day 1, shorter option.

Still too long? We could also just take hwy 20 all the way to the coast and cut out all the twistys south of Ukiah to get it under 500 miles.  Day 1, even shorter.

This route hits a lot of good stuff. We get to take in some more of the coast up hwy 1 in Mendocino County, including one of my all time favorite roads, between Rockport and Leggett. Then we cruise up 101 for a bit and get off onto the Avenue of the Giants. But we only do the Southern half, at Dyerville Bar we hang a left onto Bull Creek Flat rd, which turns into Mattole Rd and the Lost Coast.

Day 2, shorter scenic route.

Day 2, full twistys.

The full route takes 3 more hours to meet back up with 101, so anyone who takes the short/scenic route should have plenty of time for a leisurely sightseeing pace. I'm thinking we meet up in Brookings, get grab-and-go sandwiches from Fred Meyer, and ride a short ways up the road to eat a late lunch at a scenic overlook.

Day 3, 36 to 70.

Day 3, via buck's lake for those who still haven't had enough.