Main Menu

Oregon or Bust II, Memorial Day Coast Ride 05/23/15 - 05/25/15

Started by GreenMachine, February 23, 2015, 11:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

I think we're pretty close to a reasonable limit at this point.  We might entertain alternates for those who may become no-shows at the last minute...which for some reason has yet to happen on these big event rides.   :D  I always got a kick out of these adventures when DR1150 would come along.  Why?  It's a little known fact, but he'd be so excited about them he couldn't sleep the night before.  When we'd meet up in the morning he'd be all dragging along and tired.  I only caught on after about our third ride when I'd see him running a little late and he'd explain how he was running on only a couple hours sleep.  Gees!  Now that's what I call excitement!
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

Three days of riding, totaling 1,150 to 1,250 miles.

It goes fast, but you still have to be in shape for it.  So start riding longer rides in preparation. 

Some music to get you in the spirit of this ride.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

flamecrow

House boat is moved to August. I just booked the same 2 queens 5 max occupancy for $207 since it's relatively the same price or more for a single bed, just in case anyone wants to share or an extra wants to come.

Now, my only concern is 6+ hours riding and 300+ miles a day. The most I have ever done is 4 hours (approx. 200 miles). I'm up for the challenge!  :cheers

slmoto

Quote from: flamecrow on March 16, 2015, 12:17:52 AM
House boat is moved to August. I just booked the same 2 queens 5 max occupancy for $207 since it's relatively the same price or more for a single bed, just in case anyone wants to share or an extra wants to come.

Now, my only concern is 6+ hours riding and 300+ miles a day. The most I have ever done is 4 hours (approx. 200 miles). I'm up for the challenge!  :cheers
I was about to start looking for someone to share a room with. I just sent you a pm.

GreenMachine

Riders:
Rich and family, GM, TB5, Flamecrow, SLmoto

Uncommitted alternates: Dub, ADragon.

Your reservations should be for check-in on Saturday 05/23 and check-out on Monday 05/25 somewhere in the Arcata, CA area, preferably near our main group as in your PMs.

This is going to be good!!

Tahoebrian5

This is shaping up into a great group! I might start losing sleep in April. GM, do I need to do anything for reservations?
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

RichVee4

Really looking forward to this trip and spending time with a great group of people.  I had two trips to Redding this week for work and was wishing I on vacation and riding my bike.   It was perfect conditions for a ride.
Live long and prosper \V/

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

I was thinking about something for those riders who might get overwhelmed by the mileage or who are more into doing wine-n-cheese on the coast than half twisties inland & coast.  I know what the route is that I want to take the main group on.  However, if several riders wanted to change day 2 and split off from us to hang along the coast for the entire day, more relaxing, sightseeing and chilling, I'm good with that too. 

Something to ponder.  Ideas?  Thoughts?

For safety, I think it would be a good idea however for any sub-group ride to venture off in a group of 2 or more.  And we should have some sort of plan for meeting up later and keeping in touch via cellphone as much as possible.  Although, the main group will be out of cellphone range for portions of that day.

Don't want to get too crazy with deviations from the main ride plan, but I don't see the harm in letting people have their freedom on day 2, if they so choose.  Some may want the break in between the to-from day 1 & 3 legs.

Tahoebrian5

More twisties the better! It's highway miles that wear me out
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

RichVee4

I like the idea of having some flexibility in the schedule for day two.  At dinner after day one we can discuss how we feel and decide what sounds good for day two.   If we decide to have two groups that is a good option.   Since this a vacation I will lean toward something moderate on day 2.  I'd like to explore the area but also have time to make some stops and see the scenery without being rushed.

Haven't had much time to look at your maps yet but thanks for planning this out. 

Found this place on a trip last year down 101.  This road parallels hwy 101 about 30min N of Acrata and runs though Prairie Redwood SP.
Live long and prosper \V/

GreenMachine

Oh don't worry.  I'm the sentimental one in the twisties group and I stop for redwoods and ocean photo ops.

If I see a photo opportunity, even if we have to turn around, that'll be what I aim on doing.

Assuming there's a morning marine layer on day 2 the main group will go inland first on 299, through Happy Camp, into Oregon and over and up the Oregon coast.  We'll be stopping in the redwoods too for sure for a little hike and getting back to nature.

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

Uh-oh. RG's sounds like he's serious about joining day 2.  No way he'll be able to keep up with us in that diesel van for Day 1 or 3.  :D

rg500nut

RG's plan:

Early departure to Redding in Van Day one. Meet the goons in motel in Arcata Sat evening. Join group.

Anyone who does not want to do the 200 mikes of boredom to Redding is welcome to come with me in Van.  Could haul 3 more bikes with trailer if demand is there.

Do I need to contact motel and get my own reservation or does GM have rooms dialed??

Please respond promptly as I have a big woody for this forum and it's playtime...............
2 strokes always...............