Main Menu

Oregon or Bust II, Memorial Day Coast Ride 05/23/15 - 05/25/15

Started by GreenMachine, February 23, 2015, 11:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

Quote from: slmoto on February 25, 2015, 09:07:17 AM
Damn, I really wish I could join you guys on this ride looks like it will be a blast but I'll be out of the country at that time.

Sorry, I didn't know how that was going to work or not for you.  But don't worry, there's already talk about another coast trip at the beginning of October.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

slmoto

No worries, you can't run the whole site around my schedule. I'm definitely up for one of these long rides if another pops up later in the year.

GreenMachine

:D

The solstice is looking like another possibility.  We may have to do it to work around TB5's schedule, but he may end up having to take the month of June off after playing hooky with the rest of us on Memorial Day weekend.   :ohno

dub

I'm going to keep this one in mind. I'm not even close to being able to commit so I wont be booking a hotel. I do however love me an overnight coast trip. If I decide to come last minute I am fine with sleeping on the floor of someone else's room.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

GreenMachine

I'm sure we can accommodate that.  Would love to have you on one of these trips!  We'll see how this all plays out over the coming months.

Tahoebrian5

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

GreenMachine

Is that one of those fold down tray tables like you see on airliner seats?  That's awesome!  There's what, a bagel toaster and latte maker inside?

Riding in style on this one.  Nice!  Sure beats the old way.

Tahoebrian5

And kitchen sink as well. Navigating is done via a periscope.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

RichVee4

TB you might be on to something.  That location would maintain proper front to back weight distribution for handling and you can lay on it to relieve weight from the wrists. 
Live long and prosper \V/

GreenMachine

I've been contemplating the day 2 route some more, which is the big one.  Depending on what arrives in the form of marine layer or not, I think will determine whether we decide to take in the ride going clockwise or counter-clockwise.   The reason being, the run from Arcata north crossing the Oregon boarder is a picturesque coast and cliff route.  It would be a waste to ride it in the AM if it's shrouded in mist.  Plus it would be damp and probably make for slick road conditions, not that the road is that twisty anyway, but...  If those are the conditions, then I think we should go counterclockwise, get our fun on the inland dryer warmer sections out to Hoopa and Happy Camp in first...and I know of a place to stop briefly for a photo op.  That same place makes for good afternoon picture taking too, but the morning makes for some out-of-this-world light.   You'll see. 

That will take us into the afternoon, ride into the inland portion of Oregon's coastal range, which by then will have cleared, some more photo ops through the redwoods, up along the coast to Samual Broardman State Park all the way back down out from Oregon to Arcata again.   

Both directional routes will be filled with photo opportunities.  I just want to maximize our riding pleasure and opportunities given the conditions we're presented with.  Gots to get our money's worth you know!

And in case the shortcut through Happy Camp is blocked, we can detour in another 100 miles of this and still get in most of our intended route...just in case.

Day 2 alternate route if shortcut blocked.

GreenMachine

Found and fixed one disappointing problem already, camera batteries.  Have three new ones coming.  We'll have the very best on this outing, but bring the best you have to offer as well, just in case.

slmoto

I had to change the date on my other trip so these dates opened up for me and i love to him you guys if there's still room.

GreenMachine

There are still rooms available in either single King or dual queen bed rooms.  

Please begin matching up with someone you'd feel comfortable rooming with. Exchange cell numbers and whomever pays should be reimbursed ASAP, so as not to put them out for no-shows.  Yes, please pay the other person and get their room confirmation information just in case.  We normally have two individuals to a room, where the room is a dual queen room.

Don't worry, it's always a little awkward the first time sharing a room with a new person.  But when you consider that we spend so much time riding and away from the motel, when it comes time to actually being in a room with a semi-stranger, you'll both be so tired, you won't even notice it.

GreenMachine

Quote from: slmoto on March 15, 2015, 06:38:22 PM
I had to change the date on my other trip so these dates opened up for me and i love to him you guys if there's still room.
That's awesome news! Yes, join in.