Oregon or Bust II, Memorial Day Coast Ride 05/23/15 - 05/25/15

Started by GreenMachine, February 23, 2015, 11:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slmoto

Quote from: GreenMachine on May 20, 2015, 08:45:46 AM
IoM TT clips

:grnbike :greybike :blackbike :ylwbike2 :redbike2  :bluebike 

This from the guy who's worried about speeding...  ;D

I'm sure most of here have already seen this but just in case here's another more in depth one that's pretty good.
https://youtu.be/g8J6s7qSUbY

GreenMachine

Haven't seen that before.  I got distracted watching the after video to the one I posted.  It was Guy Martin onboard following Michael Dunlap.  I was getting dizzy watching it.  Could never imagine doing a demo lap with one of those guys riding two-up.  I think I'd just shut my eyes and hope.  Some of that onboard footage is in your linked video.  It's not just the going fast part that should make one feel scared, but also the confidence that you hope the guy in front of you doesn't screw up and take you out in the process.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

RichVee4

Quote from: GreenMachine on May 20, 2015, 08:45:46 AM
IoM TT clips

There you go, we can be in Arcata by Lunch and spend the afternoon in the pool!!
Live long and prosper \V/

GreenMachine

My goals on this trip are to set foot in the pacific ocean, drink interesting microbrews, scrub my calfs on as many corners on as many roads as are offered to me, and see some amazing Giant Sequoias...have a safe ride and not get performance award for something stupid.

BTW, the indoor pool & hot tub closes fairly early, like 10 PM, if I remember correctly.  This is looking from the street. Those are the windows to the pool, on the west side of the building facing the street.  The parking lot is on the south side.  And the street is fairly quiet, mostly overnight truckers.  There are motels on the other side of the street, but they're much older.

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Tahoebrian5

Last time they let us in the hot tub after hours. We must have looked fairly hagard and in need of at and R!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

GreenMachine

Based on our departure time of 7:30 AM, we'll probably be ready to stop for lunch around Boonville, which is 265 miles out from Reno.  Fort Bragg is only 50 miles up the road.  And from Boonville, Arcata is only 192 miles.  So we should be good on time if we spend our time wisely.  I realize with eight riders it'll be tough to keep everyone moving and stops may be more frequent than normal.

Note: I'm thinking of bringing a PB&J sandwich, some apples and water, just in case.  Nothing to lose by bringing it.  Then if we decide to skip Boonville and eat in Fort Bragg instead, I will have something to tide me over.  It's a good emergency supply anyways.

dub

Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

A DRAGON

So who's leaving around 8:30. Temp should be around 50.   Just can't see leaving that early?

Retirement and all. Just saying
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

dub

Quote from: A DRAGON on May 21, 2015, 12:01:08 AM
So who's leaving around 8:30. Temp should be around 50.   Just can't see leaving that early?

You can sleep late the other 4 days next week old man. Us weekend warriors gotta get up early and hit it hard, cold or not.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

GreenMachine

Quote from: A DRAGON on May 21, 2015, 12:01:08 AM
So who's leaving around 8:30. Temp should be around 50.   Just can't see leaving that early?

I'm telling ya, put a couple sheets of newspaper under your jacket if you think 50° will be too cold.  I'm good with you and others leaving at 8:30 so long as you know our route and have your cellphone on, so that we can get back together sooner than later.  That actually will probably work to your advantage with Rich & Co. needing a potty break somewhere down by Grass Valley or Marysville.  Even if you're going triple digit speeds, you may have trouble catching us by the time we turn off at Clear Lake.

But if that works better for you, we'll manage.

GreenMachine

So we have six riders on Saturday morning departing at 7:30 and it sounds like, but I'm not positive, A Dragon is waiting an extra hour and leaving at 8:30 AM...obviously riding much faster if he has an hour to make up.  But then, we'll be making pit stops up front, so that shouldn't be too hard to overcome.

We'll pick Dub up on Truckee and our voyage west will move forward.  

Whoohoo!  Eight riders.

edit: much

Tahoebrian5

Just wear an extra layer in the morn. You should have one along anyway ijust n case. I'll have my battery powered heated vest on under my leathers and will probably take it off at our first gas stop.

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

Tahoebrian5

GM, can you pm a list of everyone's phone numbers to all? Seems like a prudent precaution.

GreenMachine

Let's work that out in the morning.

This kind of looks the way I feel about what's coming up for our group.  Just add fuel.

GreenMachine

Quote from: GreenMachine on May 21, 2015, 11:36:13 PM
So we have six riders on Saturday morning departing at 7:30 and it sounds like, but I'm not positive, A Dragon is waiting an extra hour and leaving at 8:30 AM...obviously riding much faster if he has an hour to make up.  But then, we'll be making pit stops up front, so that shouldn't be too hard to overcome.

We'll pick Dub up on Truckee and our voyage west will move forward. 

Whoohoo!  Eight riders.

edit: much
We'll have seven riders in Reno starting at the same time.  I'll text Dub when we're about ready to leave.  We'll pick him up in Truckee enroute.

Rich, you're call on were you want the first stop to be.