Main Menu

Oregon or Bust II, Memorial Day Coast Ride 05/23/15 - 05/25/15

Started by GreenMachine, February 23, 2015, 11:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

Routes and departure finalized.  

Saturday departure time 7:30 AM.  Let's all be early so we can get all of the formalities, chit-chat, and coffee down.  KSU 7:30 AM North Route.

The 3-day forecast for the Northern California and Southern Oregon region is holding and looking absolutely perfect!!

However, for anyone doing the lazy late departure from Reno at 8:30 AM, there is a 50% chance of seeing rain by 9:00 AM in Truckee.  There's virtually no chance of precipitation on the main group leaving at 7:30 AM.  Time will be of the essence if you want to avoid that.  The Central Valley was mostly clear and hot the past two days.

For rider safety
This ride is closed to those who have already reservedTrip prep:

1) Get your bike in reliable shape, where you're confident it's ready for 1,200 miles without maintenance.  Tire wear should be like that for a track day, as we will come across fallen rocks on this trip and you'll want as much tread as possible to prevent a cut tire.

2) You should be physically there already for riding three 400 mile days in a row.  Don't take this lightly.  Start riding it now, riding a bicycle or hitting the gym to be in shape.  1,200 miles will kick your butt.  Reduce or terminate heavy workouts 72 hours prior to the ride, to let your body recover.  Get plenty of sleep too.  Fatigue will be mental and physical.

3) Have your motel reservation info ready.  Prep and practice what you want and can bring.  Some riders may decide to buy what they need once there to forgo toting extra cargo.  Think safety, necessity, and fun.  I'm bringing a tire repair kit, CO2 cartridges and hand pump, along with my swim suit, video and picture cameras to capture the fun places and times we'll be experiencing.

4) Bring cash & CCs.  

5) [optional] - Bring UV eye protection and ear protection from continuous exposure to high wind dB levels.
 :thumbup  & factor in bringing some light water protection in case of rain showers...which are not in the forecast.

Post up if you're interested.  Space is limited and hotels are booking up fast already, so I'm going to have to commit to something here within the next week or so.  

6) I will be bringing an AC to USB two port charger, as well as, shipping tape, disc rotor lock (ask if you want me to bring one for you too), cellphone charging cable (iPhone 4s), and AA/AAA recharger.  I'd be happy to share what I can, if you're tight on space.

Riders ( 8 )

Day 1, 80 to hwy 20, to lower Clear Lake, 175, Boonsville, Navarro, Hwy 1, Fort Bragg, Leggett, Garberville, Ave of the Giants, Arcata.  Check in, drop off and determine what we want to do and where we want to go from there.

Day 2, A counterclockwise loop up into and back out of Oregon, beginning with Willow Creek, Hoopa, Happy Camp and a little further past on 96, back to HC, north into Oregon via the bypass, back west to Jedediah Smith Redwood State Park in Crescent City, north again to somewhere south of Gold Beach, OR.  Plenty of photo-opportunities along the way.  Something like <this>.  Anticipated high temps will be in the 64° - 77° range.  0% chance of precipitation.

Day 3, Arcata to Fortuna to Hwy 36 and reverse route (of original plan) home from day 1.  Some may decide to take more of the boring freeways back.  Some cannot be avoided.  I'm planning on taking whomever still has energy to Quincy via Oroville.  Anticipated temp at departure 51°, 85° at our afternoon destination, and about 67° and sunny by the time the Quincy group makes it there.   Riders diverting through Truckee, if there are any, may experience evening showers in that area.

This one will undoubtedly be one of the most scenic rides you'll do in your lifetime.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

RichVee4

Sport Touring ride,  ;D count me in.  Let me know what city/hotel you are planning to stay in so I can make my reservation.  Monica should be able to make it also.  Looking forward to it!
Live long and prosper \V/

GreenMachine

You guys are going to love this trip.  Yes, sport touring.   :banana2 :party

Here's an idea for the three day routes.  Those of us going can adjust each one however.  Day 2 is the big one for me.  Much of the roads north of Arcata I haven't been exposed to.  We did ride hwy 101 up to Bookings on the Oob 2013 ride and that was the most scenic stretch of road I think I've ever ridden.  Just majestic mile after mile, so I want to do that again, stop take pictures, go up the Oregon coastline and take some more pictures, eat large and live it up!  Crescent City has a beautiful stretch of beach as well.  Would love to stop on this trip for some photo-ops.  There will be new redwood forests for me to explore on Day 2 as well, plus a secret stretch of twisties coming back down out of Oregon.  DR and I were blocked by late snows in 2012.  Dub's been on it once and recommended I try it.  I doubt snow will be a problem by late May this year.

Day 2
Day 3

Edited day two for minor correction in the way Google had incorrectly routed us at Happy Camp.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

I just booked a double queen 5 occupancy room for 05/23 and departing 05/25.  Big whoop!  $207.

Now if I can just remember to bring my swimming trunks this time.  :evil1

flamecrow

75% in...must decide whether I want to spend that weekend on a houseboat or on a bike. Also gotta to get me a small bag or maybe even a TANK BAG :O!

Haha, let me know which city/hotels to book in case I decide to tag along :D

Tahoebrian5

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

RichVee4

Quote from: flamecrow on February 25, 2015, 12:43:00 AM
75% in...must decide whether I want to spend that weekend on a houseboat or on a bike. Also gotta to get me a small bag or maybe even a TANK BAG :O!

The water that time of year is to cold for house boating, at least swimming anyway.  The ride is a better choice.  See how easy that was.   Actually house boating is a fun option.

GM,  need some more details on the hotel.   Haven't done an overnight with the SSA so not sure what the norm is, but thinking I will need my own room if the wife joins.   
Live long and prosper \V/

GreenMachine

Yes, that hwy 36.  I think it's a little overrated, but it's not bad either.  Same for hwy 96, but there will be others.

We're up to 5 going!  Well, four with the fifth at 75%.   :cheers :welcome :welcome2

GreenMachine

We should keep this as a tight group, so if Flamecrow is #5, we could use one more or three more, so overnight accommodations can be shared.  Or that's how I envision it anyway.  So if you're on the fence and you're waiting until the last minute to decide, we may end up deciding for you that we're booked up. 

To all those who are in at this point, if the forecast shows rain we will cancel.  This far away from that date, who knows.  Only 2013 had rain of all the times I've been over there.  DR and I did get some drizzle briefly in 2012, but just enough to dirty the bike.  I don't see the point in riding all that way if we're just going to be miserable getting rained on.  Where we're staying allows for up to 24 hours to cancel without penalty, they don't take payment until we check in, so there's the incentive to book now.

GreenMachine

Quote from: RichVee4 on February 25, 2015, 07:18:34 AM

The water that time of year is to cold for house boating, at least swimming anyway.  The ride is a better choice.  See how easy that was.   Actually house boating is a fun option.

GM,  need some more details on the hotel.   Haven't done an overnight with the SSA so not sure what the norm is, but thinking I will need my own room if the wife joins.   

There should have been a link to the exact page for where we're staying in the PM.  If Monica's on the fence, you and Flamecrow can consider sharing one room or getting your own individuals.  Rooms right now are $95+tax/night for where we're staying.

For an idea of how a SSA overnight works, accommodations and expenses are up to you.  The plan at this point is to use Arcata as a base for both nights.  Check in on the 23rd and out on the 25th.  And we typically share rooms, where everyone gets their own bed.  I did have to share one with another rider, but we slept head to toe and I spent no more time sleeping than I had to.   :D  I'd think that if Monica came along, she'd pair up with you.  Brian and I have a double queen sleeper room, so that's how it's working out for now.  If Flamecrow decides for sure he's in but there are no rooms remaining, he can stay with us.  We'll figure it out.  Plenty of time before this one.

GreenMachine

I can still remember how awesome breakfast was on this trip.  The anticipation in the air for the ride ahead.  The sweet smell of the air.  Everyone was just having fun and no worries.  It's the best of life.

This isn't where the 2015 group will be staying.  It's just to give you an idea.  That's ADragon and SparkyGixxer on our 2010 single overnight trip.  The pictures bring back such cool memories, like the apple pie & whipped cream we shared, because ADragon has a sweet tooth, but there wasn't a place open in Garberville that was still serving dessert.  So we bought our own pie and took it back to the motel with us.  It was still awesome!  Low rent, but awesome!

GreenMachine

Quote from: RichVee4 on February 25, 2015, 07:18:34 AM

I don't know about that. 

Let's see, staying with dudes for three days and riding until exhaustion.  Or, drinking beer with girls running around in skimpy bikinis.  I know which one I'd be leaning towards.  :D

Mel

"but we slept head to toe"...there's a name for that position :D!

slmoto

Damn, I really wish I could join you guys on this ride looks like it will be a blast but I'll be out of the country at that time.

GreenMachine

Haha, let me know which city/hotels to book in case I decide to tag along :D
If anyone brings a tank bag, that will be considered hazardous to your riding and you'll have to ride in back.  No exceptions!

:evil1
j/k