Main Menu

suspensions settings: gixxer 6

Started by yzinger, March 31, 2009, 10:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yzinger

Gotta set up my friends bike for the trackday, anyone have a baseline to go from for the 08 gixxer? rider is roughly 170 with gear.

yzinger

no one has adjusted suspension on the gixxer? I find that hard to believe. I mean, I know they are slow bikes..but still  ???

JENX!!!

U can start with setting SAG.....these are from my book. ( Performance Riding Techniques by Andy Ibbott )
Rider sag for street bike:
F.........35-50mm
R.........40-45mm

Race bike:
F.........25-35mm
R.........20-25mm

You can set rebound by bouncing the bike.......check for 1 quick bounce., F and R should bounce back at the same time.
If it hangs, its too stiff....multiple bounces, its too soft.
Hi my name is jenx and im a track junky.....

Yard Sale

Factory settings = Baseline

I had Dave Moss set up my sag and hydraulics (06 GSXR600) and then I tweaked fork compression as needed (softer on that cold weekend in October). Now I'm starting over with stiffer springs.

Getting the geometry right was more important. It wouldn't finish turns. People say you need to use fork extenders and jack up the rear but I just have the forks flush with a lot of ride height and a tall rear tire.

yzinger

Dave did my suspension, then helped me tweak it from there. How much you weigh? what do you remember wat he started with? The reason I am hoping not to have to start at base and go from there is I can never remember what each intricate part is supposed to do. I keep emailing him and saying, "what does the gold one do again? OHHHH YAAAAA." hahahah ::) I will also be working on the geometry of the bike in an effort to get it to finish, beccause that was one of my complaints with it too. I just refuse to pay any shop to do this work when it just takes a little tinkering, and it is different with each person.

jlavallee

Personally, I like to get the bike adjusted geometry wise if changing tires and then I usually end up with 28-30mm front sag and 30-35mm rear sag. Once that is done I will tweak the damping circuits.

If you're on stock suspension I would use the stock settings and adjust one at a time based on what you feel the bike needs. With all the adjustments on bikes today you can pretty quickly get yourself messed up trying to change things more than one at a time. Track time is needed to work it out.

At 170lbs with gear, I'd bet the factory baseline is a decent starting place.

JENX!!!

^ +1.
Thats what i did., takes awhile but u learn alot....
I started out with everything on full soft, then adjusted one thing at a time. Did a couple of laps to see what it did  to the bike and how it felt., I wrote down all my settings prior so i could go back if needed.
Hi my name is jenx and im a track junky.....

Yard Sale

My gix-six was working pretty good last year, just a little too soft in the forks for me. Over the winter I put on 750 forks (coated inner tube), using the high-zoot internals from my old forks, with stiffer .90 springs. Zoran said I should use .95 springs, or mix .90 and .95, but I thought it was too much of a jump from my soft springs which almost worked.

At the SSA trackday they bottomed in turn 2 charging hard on the inside over the bumps. I didn't know they bottomed, it felt like they were twisting.

Oh well, I'll max out the oil level and if that doesn't work I'll get the .95 springs.

Damn, did I put on that much weight over the winter?  :P

Adiggity

^^^ you mean Zoran knows what he is talking about??...no...... :D

Sorry. Couldn't resist.  ;D

Justin

The factory settings on my CBR were horrible.  Full soft in the rear and supper stiff front end.  Dave Moss laughed when he saw it.  I read a brit sport bike magazine and copied the settings that the writer liked, and that worked for me, but it was dumb luck. I say 20 dollars at the track is the best money you can spend.

MotoPutz

I say do it yourself, thats what I do!!    :P 8)