Main Menu

Friday Night Warehouse Mini-Bike Flat Track

Started by Yard Sale, April 11, 2010, 02:07:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yard Sale

On a Friday evening in the industrial district of a city in northern Nevada, a motley collection of riders gathered with their motley collection of small motorcycles. There were dirt bikers, flat trackers, AFM scum, and ex-AFM scum, including a large contingent of 650 Twins racers (and this ex-650T racer).

"You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious."

I wore dirt biking gear (except chest protector), thinking I would look like a dork wearing roadrace leathers to a minibike gathering. I looked like a dork when everybody else wore leathers. Well, there were others in dirt bike gear and the guys on 50s wore street clothes. Other gear included 1960s open-face sparkly helmets with and without bubble shields, Mexican wrestler masks, and a Corona cape.

I was shocked at the expansive track layout. It seemed huge and fast compared to the backyard flat track I had ridden previously. Surrounding the track were palettes of boxes with flammable chemicals. I located the nearest fire extinguishers. A few steel pillars seemed sketchy. The polished concrete surface looked slippery.

When others weren't riding them, I had my choice of two knobby tire-shod XR100s. One had a horribly stiff throttle that made it difficult to ride. Throttle control was needed, as you were sliding all over the slippery track. The front tire tucked or plowed in every turn, requiring some combination of throttle and body English to save it from crashing. The back turn (in the dark) was particularly slippery.

In the beginning I was making four corners out of the two turns. I just couldn't turn it smoothly around each turn. Later I managed to make a few good turns by backing the rear in early, applying throttle to maintain the rear slide, and correcting the front end slide all the way around. Talk about multi-tasking! I have so much respect for the guys who can do this every turn, every lap, and make it look easy.

Randy was one of those guys, a genuine dirt track racer in leathers that went outside his boots. He wasn't immune from crashing.

There was a lot of crashing. The guys on 50s seemed to make a sport of it, which wasn't too bright considering the hardness of the concrete and their lack of protection. Anybody who hit the deck came up very dirty. There was a lot of grime on the surface, which no doubt contributed to its lack of traction. Each crasher and his bike slid about twice as far as you might expect for the modest speed they were going, often spinning.

Alberto showed up with his son's XR80 (I think) with street tires. There was talk of how bad street tires were on concrete compared to knobbies. I took it for a spin. And spin it did. The rear backed in immediately upon rolling off the throttle and spun upon apply throttle. However, the front stuck. This is exactly what I wanted. Unfortunately, I couldn't create any forward momentum with the spinning rear tire and it was like I was on a PW50 or a much slower bike. (Once it had hooked up down the straight it was about as fast as an XR100, but it getting it there was difficult.)

I rode Kay's CRF150, which was a cheater bike. It had soft Michelin Starcross knobbies, which actually hooked up too much for me. It had so much power and traction I felt like some trackday squid on a liter bike. I actually used the brakes on that thing, which were actually useful, compared to the XR100s. It was also physically larger. I got cocky on it and tried for some feet-up full-corner slides, almost accomplishing one until it got too sideways at the exit and I panic-dabbed.

We switched track directions and it was like someone turned the world upside down. I couldn't ride worth a damn for several laps until my brain adjusted to turning right. It wasn't just turning but the entire body positioning, which is 90% of riding on a slippery track.

I was on the 150 when I followed TwinWorks Factory racer Jay and got the only decent footage from my mis-aimed helmet cam. (It's the last 2.5 minutes of my video.) Jay was looking just a little too squirrely on an XR100 and that session ended in tears for both of us.
After many laps on the 150 I figured its owner might want it back so I pointed back and forth to it and to him on the straight. Just before turning in I saw a throttle hand and handguard come into contact with my clutch handguard. This will not end well, I thought. I was on the deck in no time, sliding toward a parked motorcycle in front of a palette of lacquer. I was on my back and I instinctively put my feet up like I do when I'm having a snowboard crash. I spun around backward and faced the rider who took me out, Randy, while giving him the two-finger salute and yelling, "FUUUUU!" Crashing sucks.

The photos herein are poorly lit but they at least show the warehouse. The linked video is from a poorly aimed helmet camera but it catches some good action. I also shot video off the bike. If you can't stand it, just watch the last 2.5 minutes, which is halfway decent as it more or less keeps Jay in frame.

YouTube video

Randy, dirt track racer

Randy

Alan, 650T roadracer

Kay, fan of vintage helmets

Yard Sale salutes Randy

Many thanks to SSA member Independent for the invitation and use of his motorcycles.

MotoPutz

How did I not get invited to this... minus the fact I don't have a minibike...

oldBolt

That's COOL!. :)

What warehouse covers this?  (CRAZY)

I work security at night for a big medical supply company and
HOLY S_ _ _ this would null and void all insurance agreements.
You guys are my hero's. TOO COOL (++10) :)
"I have inhaled, exhaled everything." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Yard Sale

Quote from: Putz on April 11, 2010, 02:13:05 PM
The cool kids get invited to birthday parties at bars. The naughty kids get invited to minibike rides at warehouses.

MotoPutz

Quote from: Yard Sale on April 11, 2010, 06:18:59 PM
The cool kids get invited to birthday parties at bars. The naughty kids get invited to minibike rides at warehouses.

Obviously you dont know me very well.... ;D

edmunsan

I couldn't make this venue due to work. But next time I'll bring some Blue in mix, and Green if stroke smoke is allowed KX60 mini.
MOTOISM my desease from wich there is no cure.

youngster775

2006 R1-50th,2004 R6 trackbike,2005 GSXR-600,2001 ZX6 trackbike,2005 YZ-250F

RCFLAGGER

Hey, Need a Starter?  Have flagset can travel, discreetly of course !  Looks like more fun than the law allows......!
RACING is the only form of compitition......everything else is just a GAME.........  '84 GoldWing ,'82 KZ1100-D, '75 Kaw Z-1 900, '73 Honda CL-350, '69 Honda CT-90

Team Gorgonzola

Quote from: oldBolt on April 11, 2010, 03:09:56 PM
That's COOL!. :)

What warehouse covers this?  (CRAZY)

I work security at night for a big medical supply company and
HOLY S_ _ _ this would null and void all insurance agreements.
You guys are my hero's. TOO COOL (++10) :)
That's why is not suppose to be public knowledge!!!
Eric, about your crash, you may have not realized but you slowed down suddenly without warning and while ;looking at us were going straigt. Randy was to your left and since there was not previous warning, by you, I am sure he assumed you were going to make the turn. From my viewpoint the all thing was caused by you and the finger is definitely out of order.
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube.
-Hunter S. Thompson-

Justin

I'm not so sure.  It seems like Eric slowed the same amount for each corner.

RedLeader

Quote from: RCFLAGGER on April 12, 2010, 06:25:21 AM
Hey, Need a Starter?  Have flagset can travel, discreetly of course !  Looks like more fun than the law allows......!
Ha ha ha, this sounds like one of those "personal" ads.
"Why are motorcycle dealers closed on Sundays? Because Sunday is for worship... Catholics go to church, Motorcyclists go to the track." -Justin Skalka

RCFLAGGER

Quote from: RedLeader on April 12, 2010, 08:54:05 PM
Quote from: RCFLAGGER on April 12, 2010, 06:25:21 AM
Ha ha ha, this sounds like one of those "personal" ads.
[
/quote]
Well what can I say?  Discretion IS the betterpart of valor, or so they say.  If you don't try, ya don't know.
RACING is the only form of compitition......everything else is just a GAME.........  '84 GoldWing ,'82 KZ1100-D, '75 Kaw Z-1 900, '73 Honda CL-350, '69 Honda CT-90

Oneup

Quote from: Yard Sale on April 11, 2010, 06:18:59 PM

You were invited.  You just had to read the board.  I'd have called you but I don't have your number.
02 KX250, 04 GSXR1000, 07 CBR600rr

crzydog

A fun time was had by all. Some of the fifty riders had no idea of what gear to bring as they mostly ride on backyard dirt tracks. I wore full gear as always. I need a XR100 again as my little fifty is not enough but still fun.
Dude, you were flying when I passed you....

mike72

when is the next Friday Night Warehouse Mini-Bike Flat Track?