Main Menu

Hello all - trackday questions from the newb

Started by rabbit, July 20, 2010, 04:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Team Gorgonzola

Quote from: Jp_Rio on July 21, 2010, 09:58:36 PM
Quote from: Team Gorgonzola on July 21, 2010, 10:30:55 AM
Rabbit, good to see you on the board, once you have RFRT figured out you'll have a blast, one of our instructors hold the lap record there and he is always available for one-on-one sessions at our track days.

What is that lap record, Alberto??

If I am not mistaken is: 2':28" :o
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube.
-Hunter S. Thompson-

Jp_Rio

Quote from: Team Gorgonzola on July 22, 2010, 10:40:46 PM
If I am not mistaken is: 2':28" :o

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?? Crap, I guess I have more work to do than I thought!!  :P

That's insane... I which I could see a video of someone making a time close to that!! Does anybody have one??  ;D ;D
What?? Trackday?? I'm in!!!

Team Gorgonzola

There are only and handful of people that go below 2':40'. Seat time is the main thing, then a bit of talent is necessary to be super-fast (AMA, SBK, MotoGP etc)
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube.
-Hunter S. Thompson-

jlavallee

Actually, if I remember correctly (and I often don't) Justin had done some unofficial high teens/low 2:20's. I know we had timed Eddie and some of the guys at 2:30 ish a couple of years ago.

Alberto is right, only a few get below 2:40's. It doesn't sound like much but if you actually watch at the start line as one of the fast guys pass then count ten or more seconds it is mad how much distance it is. The faster you get, the harder those seconds are to find. Plus, as you get in faster there is less room to change a line or make a mistake without messing the whole thing up.

I'll bet a video would not look too extreme actually. Going that quick regularly means you are on the mark all the time and very smooth. The fast guys often make it look easy like a magic trick you just can't understand.

n10sive

Quote from: jlavallee on July 24, 2010, 07:53:58 AM
Actually, if I remember correctly (and I often don't) Justin had done some unofficial high teens/low 2:20's. I know we had timed Eddie and some of the guys at 2:30 ish a couple of years ago.

Alberto is right, only a few get below 2:40's. It doesn't sound like much but if you actually watch at the start line as one of the fast guys pass then count ten or more seconds it is mad how much distance it is. The faster you get, the harder those seconds are to find. Plus, as you get in faster there is less room to change a line or make a mistake without messing the whole thing up.

I'll bet a video would not look too extreme actually. Going that quick regularly means you are on the mark all the time and very smooth. The fast guys often make it look easy like a magic trick you just can't understand.

TROOF! I watch videos of people that look so smooth I say "I can do that!" and when I get on the track with that person they pass me like I am parked  :'( :-[
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

Jp_Rio

Quote from: Team Gorgonzola on July 23, 2010, 11:00:22 PM
Seat time is the main thing...

What would be "seat time"??

Quote from: jlavallee on July 24, 2010, 07:53:58 AM

What does "high teens/low 2:20's" mean, Jason? Kinda got confused on this one.

And to me, 10 seconds do sound like a LOT, trust me! hehe

I still would like to watch a video tho, cause I would be able to see what kind of lines those guys have. The video would be even more useful if I could hear the RPM's and gear shifting. You know, when someone is "guiding" you or showing you the lines on the track, like Adiggity did with me last time, you kinda get an idea of what the  lines are, but we have to be slow (once one of us is a completely newbie). In that video no, the guy would be going through the track lines the fastest ever, so I think would be a very nice "teaching" material!

I bet that if they had RFRT on the motogp game that I have for Xbox I could smooooke that time!  ;D ;D My record at Laguna is 1:11:03 hehehe

jlavallee

Quote from: Jp_Rio on July 24, 2010, 10:44:04 PM

What he's saying here is that more time on the bike, on the track is the important thing.

I seem to remember hearing Justin had lapped RFR C in 2:18 unofficially but I could be wrong on this.

Jp_Rio

Quote from: jlavallee on July 25, 2010, 12:01:33 PM
Quote from: Jp_Rio on July 24, 2010, 10:44:04 PM

What he's saying here is that more time on the bike, on the track is the important thing.

I seem to remember hearing Justin had lapped RFR C in 2:18 unofficially but I could be wrong on this.

Holy Macarroni!!! I guess the "unofficially" was the word missing there... Jesus! My life is just getting better and better  ;D

Almos two minutes lap?? You gotta be kidding! If I am right, there is a bunch of B riders that can barely go below the 3 minutes mark...

My hat is taken!

jlavallee

Quote from: Jp_Rio on July 25, 2010, 12:54:46 PM
Holy Macarroni!!! I guess the "unofficially" was the word missing there... Jesus! My life is just getting better and better  ;D

Almos two minutes lap?? You gotta be kidding! If I am right, there is a bunch of B riders that can barely go below the 3 minutes mark...

My hat is taken!

I'd say few of the "B" guys break 3:00 laps. They might occasionally get one here or there but not regularly. Most "A" guys are between 2:40 to 2:55 laps and then you have the guys who are or were racing (Andy, Eddie, Steve, Justin) and they are a fair bit to a lot quicker again. In May it was cold and I don't think I got below 3:05 laps. In June, Alberto and I were lapping in the mid 2:40's by late Sunday. Andy was easily with us on Jerome's Aprillia so he had lots left in reserve at that pace  to be doing it on a bike he doesn't even own.