Main Menu

Roll Call - Z2 @T-hill <$$$ A,B,C 07-30 - 07/31 2011 SSA DISCOUNT TrackDay

Started by GreenMachine, May 10, 2011, 10:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

Quote from: Tahoebrian5 on August 01, 2011, 09:46:23 AMGM, thanks for the support.. don't overdue it or I'll start thinkn Im something special!...
The two most impressive riders I've ridden with are in this thread.  Not to take anything away from the many with mad skills or that are fast too, but you and Dub have the best form I've seen on two wheels.  You're both prodigy's in my book and you both will only get faster.    :bowdown .
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Tahoebrian5

Hmmmm, those appear to be copyrighted photos! You should modify your post to that is allegedly TB5
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

Tahoebrian5

Looking at far right, second one down. The instructor following me (Marty) tells me my head should be in line with my body instead of plumb. I tried and it was making me dizzy! I'll have to work on it.

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

A DRAGON

Thanks to all who came out this weekend.  I had a great time.  NO BAD SECTIONS OF TRACK TO LOOK OUT FOR.  GREAT BATHROOM FACILITIES.  This is a wonderful place to be.  I wish I could go there every weekend. 

After not riding all year I posted my best times ever. 

Thanks Greg for all your help and Toy Hauler at the track. 

Zoran thanks again for the info to fix my machine. It runs like it always did.

Oldbolt you were so much fun to spend the weekend with.   ( I keep thinking of the guys in a full on choke all the time.  I can't seem to stop laughing )

Willis You are extremely quick thanks for dragging your elbow in front of me.  Excellent job on drinking your 2 1/2 gallons of water.  I drank so much on Saturday I don't think I needed that much on Sunday..  Never cramped up once coming home. 

Paul.  Your going to have to help me hook up the GoPro for next time.  I would have had some great pics for everyone to see. 

Alberto.  You make the day all the time.  Thanks again for coming out.  I so happy I could keep up with you for a little bit.  You are rolling and look so good while doing it to.  Ducati Boy

Rick Bay.  Your are so fast now.  I'm going to have to up my game I see.  I'll get there soon Thanks again and tell Pop thanks for the Donuts.

JP  I know your going to be another one of those guys to pass me too very soon.  Can't wait till you get to my group and start riding.  It was fun spending the day with you.  You and Rick at the prime spots for you pit.

Pedro.  I'll get my body to you by the end of the week.  Happy to hear you had fun.  Dinner was great with you and your brother.

When is the next weekend for us?  I can't wait
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

A DRAGON

JP are you jumping off your bike?

Fixed.   :evil1 -GM
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

Jp_Rio

Wow!! What a day!

Everything started at 2:15am (after going to bed around 12:15) when I woke-up to get whatever was missing ready for the trip. Finally left Reno around 3:30. The trip was pretty much relaxed besides the fact a car in front of us almost hit a deer twice at some full of trees coasted road. After that, was pretty much trying to stay on the right path all the way to thill.

Speaking of which.. what a place! Very nice infrastructure and organization. I was blown by the time I got close to where Rick was pitted at and had seen almost nothing of the place yet. Then registration, tech (had the inspector complaining about my exhaust pipe not being completely "fastened", said he would stop by and fix but never did - and the pipe never fell off, as he predicted) and riders meeting – only after the guy on top of the table said "if you are not an A or B rider, you are in the wrong place" I went to the "right place". Then getting ready for the sighting laps.

Again, as I did before my first day at RFR, I watched a nice lap video on youtube of thill several times so I could get familiar with the track configuration and stuff, so the sighting laps were no surprise per say, besides starting to figure out reference points and riding lines live. Got out with little advice from the instructor and went to the pits. The second session of the day was, in a sense, the most thrilling one I believe. Stopped under the shade and asked for an instructor, but apparently no one "could" or was available to tow me. Finally, a guy named Marty came along and asked what I wanted. You know, just the basics, you tow me, show me some lines "at speed" and you follow me to see what I am doing wrong – I said. Right on! Headed out there and started following him. Nothing new until the lap where I passed him so he could watch me. All turns where just fine until turn 9... Went up hill a little too wide and when coming down, the right flank started slowly (seemed slow to me due to the fact my senses were sharpening at an exponential rate) disappearing from my sight and I started to think "holy sh7t!! I'm completely off...that's it, I'll crash". In my mind I wasn't going to be able to make the turn since I was way too far to the right. Miraculously, I was able to ride over the very last inch of asphalt before the track becomes dirt and rode through with a big sigh of relief and a head shake. Regrouped and finished the section with no major problems. Came out and had a little talk with the instructor, nothing to major and went to finish recovering from the "incident" in the pits. Decided to treat the track with a little bit more respect thereafter.  8)

The rest of the day was a blast. Had way too much fun trying to nail down turns 5 , 9, 11 and 14 and at the session before the last one got my knee down on 14. Was feeling way more comfortable on my bike and could turn some good laps. Gearing, trail braking, apexes and cornering speed were pretty much mediocre at that time – mostly due to my tiredness – and was still able to turn 2:26, which don't know how bad it is, but accounting that good lap times are around low 2:10's and how much I knew I could improve on my riding, I was pretty happy about it.

Left the facility completely exhausted and excited about what to come next. Had a great time with some very good friends as well! Very nice to see you guys after a long time. Wish I could've seen you, Paul, but I am sure more opportunities will be there. And sorry if I didn't expend that much time along with you guys, but Rick's spot and, as TahoeBrian mentioned, digesting all the information thrown at me (rider's meeting pretty much in between every section, for example) were the two main reasons for that. Not to mention the fact I was trying to make Lais first trackday experience the least boring I could (and I think I did  ;D)... Anyway, thanks again to SSA for everything and am really looking forward for the next one.
What?? Trackday?? I'm in!!!

Jp_Rio

Quote from: A DRAGON on August 01, 2011, 11:02:48 PM
JP are you jumping off your bike?

Fixed.   :evil1 -GM

Oh..that? The right side of my seat was way too hot, that's why...  ;)

This one looks more like I am riding a motorcycle though... not quite there... yet..

And am happy with my body position and the fact I am getting more comfortable with the whole "looking" through the corner thing...

Jp_Rio

Quote from: A DRAGON on August 01, 2011, 10:35:43 PM
Zoran thanks again for the info to fix my machine. It runs like it always did.

:agree Without Zoran's help I would never be able to fix my bike. Thanks a lot for all the help, Zoran. And likes Jerome's, it is running like it always did!

Quote from: A DRAGON on August 01, 2011, 10:35:43 PM
JP  I know your going to be another one of those guys to pass me too very soon.  Can't wait till you get to my group and start riding.  It was fun spending the day with you.  You and Rick at the prime spots for you pit.

When is the next weekend for us?  I can't wait

Thanks my friend. I have faith on your words. Will work hard for it! How about September 17 and 18th?? That will be another Z2 trackday at Thill and I would be 5x down to go! And if we start begging right now, Trinie might come along too!  ;)

CptnHornblower

Quote from: Tahoebrian5 on August 01, 2011, 09:59:21 PM
Looking at far right, second one down. The instructor following me (Marty) tells me my head should be in line with my body instead of plumb. I tried and it was making me dizzy! I'll have to work on it.

I think he probably meant that your head and shoulders should be leaned into the corner more; I think you keep your head and eyes even with the ground/horizon. In the pic of the MotoGP rider you can see his head and shoulders are leaned to the inside of the centerline of the bike, but his head is turned (as much as possible) so his eyes are level with the horizon.

Comments? Is that correct?
Earnest Hemingway : There are only 3 sports, Bullfighting, Motor Racing and Mountain climbing. All the rest are games.

Tahoebrian5

I thinks you are correct, I watched a superbike race and they seem to keep there head straightish. I must have misunderstood, it does look like my entire upper body could be a bit more inside though.. Maybe thats what Marty meant.

n10sive

Looking at your pictures Brian I think he means you are 'crossed up'. Go out and "kiss" those mirrors and let your head and shoulders lead you through the turn (advice I generally get from Z2 instructors)
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

Tahoebrian5

n10sive

Id say "tits on the tank" too, but that is what they tell my wife LOL
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

A DRAGON

JP.  Excellent Job on your experience.  I didn't know this was your first trip to Thunderhill.  You seemed so at home.  Turn 5 does take some getting use to.  Track is so much better than RFR!!!!  Worth the drive and money.

It's so hard to get everyone together in one spot.  But you and Rick had prime real estate for sure.

Yes I agree.  We do have to do this real soon again.  I had a great time with Alberto and Willis. And the rest of the Crew. Did you bring back my Ratchet?

Also happy to hear you were dragging Knee.  Your the man.
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750