Main Menu

Roll Call - Z2 @T-hill <$$$ A,B,C 07-30 - 07/31 2011 SSA DISCOUNT TrackDay

Started by GreenMachine, May 10, 2011, 10:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Team Gorgonzola

Awesome time with my peeps. Great riding was had by all. Thanks to Dub and Dragon for the great "battles" out there, and Bruce as well. :D BTW Cameron Beaubier (AMA Daytona Sportbike) and Joey Pescarella (AMA Supersport) were there. I witnessed first hand, a multiple riders pass while in "A" by "Cam" entering turn 13.... late braking and sideways!! Absolutely awe inspiring!!
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube.
-Hunter S. Thompson-

Tahoebrian5

Ok, first track day weekend was completely awesome. Started in novice and was soon bored, moved up to B and was soon scared! By mid day Saturday I relaxed and everything came together. Was feeling really good Sunday, ran a 2:04.. Not sure what a good lap time is there. Had a good chat with oneup. Then I had a pretty good scare, another rider and I bounced off eachother near turn 8 at near triples. I held my line, snuck a look over my shoulder and saw him ride off track. I'm not sure who was at fault.. Happened to be at the same time someone crashed at turn 5. I pulled in and inquired if I was at fault but I dnot think anyone saw it. Never did find out who it was.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

GreenMachine

Quote from: Tahoebrian5 on August 01, 2011, 07:02:39 AM
Ok, first track day weekend was completely awesome. Started in novice and was soon bored, moved up to B and was soon scared! By mid day Saturday I relaxed and everything came together. Was feeling really good Sunday, ran a 2:04.. Not sure what a good lap time is there. ...
I believe that's 'A' group speed.  I believe Dean (skydiverDCM) said that's his lap time, he's in 'A' group and just earned his racing license.  Not bad for your first trackday wouldn't you agree?

Did you have anyone come up to you for your autograph?
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

n10sive

Turn 8 is a (near) triple digit corner...even in B.

Did this guy try and pass you on the outside? If so, he was probably trying to get around you and you drifted out on him. Not a problem though. You run your lines and he has to watch you. B group is not AFM so rubbin' is not racin' :D

Now....if you did a Simoncelli and came up inside him and ran HIM off the track...it would be your bad :)
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

Tahoebrian5

GM, thanks for the support.. don't overdue it or I'll start thinkn Im something special!

I was on the left side of the straight coming outa 7, passed 2 riders on the left. I was thinking the pass was complete and stayed to far inside on 8. Im pretty sure I was completely thru 8 and still on the tight inside then all of a sudden the rider appeared and that was that. doesnt make sense unless he punched it after I passed him. Still would like to find out who it was and get their story. If I f'd up and pulled a MS I'd like to know.

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

CptnHornblower

The line I was taught, starting in 6, is apex 6, let your speed drift you out to the rumble strip on the right side, then apex 7, again your speed carries you out to the right. My turn in marker for 8 is the last white mark on the right and I aim for about 1 foot from the dirt on the right, then turn in, apex 8 and again let your speed carry you out to the far right side of the track, full throttle up the hill on the far right before turning into 9. Sounds like he was on that line as you moved to the right. In any event, especially in the B group where everyone does not know the race line, it's on whoever's passing to stay clear. So if he was trying to pass, it was his bad.

A 2:04 is great, that would put you in the top 10 in the AFM 650 Twins class. I'd just wave as you went by  :howdy
Earnest Hemingway : There are only 3 sports, Bullfighting, Motor Racing and Mountain climbing. All the rest are games.

Tahoebrian5

Thanks, the confusing part is I'm not sure if it was the guy I passed or someone passing me. Top 10 ehh?? Too bad I was on a 1000

CptnHornblower

Earnest Hemingway : There are only 3 sports, Bullfighting, Motor Racing and Mountain climbing. All the rest are games.

dub

2:04 is a phenomenal lap time for your very first time out on a track.  Very impressive.  You must be a prodigy; you should get your license and go racing!

Where were you pitted?  I'm sorry we didn't get to meet.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

Tahoebrian5

I was 2 spots down from oneup. Sorry if I was reclusive... was a bit overwhelmed with the whole experience and just tried to take it all in. Well maybe I'll move up to A group soon. It still makes me nervous being close to other riders though and I don't want to get spooked and make a mistake.

Rick Bay (BRA)

Quote from: youngster775 on July 31, 2011, 10:18:31 AM
Me and Kim are back! What a great Saturday it was  :) The weather was a beautiful 93 with a cooling breeze. SSA was in effect out there with about 12 of us registered. Very minimal accidents out on track, and NONE involving SSA.  :thumbup Thunderhill was just as fast and fun as always, and Z2 did a great job putting this all on, SSA thanks you! there should be some pictures up soon...
You sucks Paul. I did not see you....
:(

Rick Bay (BRA)

My song....

.......I LEFT MY SUIT INNNNN SANNNNN FRANNNCISCOOOOO.......

Modify by The Dragon...

Well, nothing to say about it.... :( :)

dub

Quote from: Tahoebrian5 on August 01, 2011, 10:52:51 AM
I was 2 spots down from oneup. Sorry if I was reclusive... was a bit overwhelmed with the whole experience and just tried to take it all in.

No worries, I understand.  That was me my first trackday too.  I remember I would just sit there between sessions and stare into space, taking it all in, as you said.  People kept asking me if I was ok, lol.

Quote from: Tahoebrian5 on August 01, 2011, 10:52:51 AMWell maybe I'll move up to A group soon. It still makes me nervous being close to other riders though and I don't want to get spooked and make a mistake.

I am only just now, a year later, beginning to feel comfortable in close proximity to other riders.  It's something that you just have to get acquainted to on the track, because there is no equal to it on the street.  Assuming you are riding the correct line and are able to hold it, you could go out with a rider you trust and do some lead-follow/pass drills.  They will just pass you close then open the door and let you pass them back, and so on.  I rode in A the last part of Sunday (which was a blast, by the way!) not because I'm fast, but because of the passing rules.  Someone sought me out in the pits to let me know that a pass I made on them was too close for B group and made them uncomfortable.  Once I was riding in A I realized that I liked to be passed close by the much faster riders in that group because I trust them to do it clean.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

Tahoebrian5

That sounds like an excellent way to learn quickly! Passing technique is a complete mystery to me at this point. I wasn't worried about it for my first time and most of my passes were just liter bike power on the straights. I did get a couple of outside passes on turns 3 and 6; after being passed there a couple times I caught on. Definately and hopelessly hooked now!

Tahoebrian5