Main Menu

We (you and I) have nothing in common

Started by GreenMachine, November 24, 2014, 10:57:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

So someone said to me in a somewhat condescending way, that we 'get off' on riding and that they get off on "x."  (Where "x" is the other outdoor activity they prefer).

When they said that they did so basically brushing off riding (street/track/dirt) as less than their activity and almost to say that we have nothing in common.

What do you think?
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

Mel

What's the girl's name :)!! Dump her now LOL!!

GreenMachine

Let's assume to keep gender out of the equation, so the question remains pure and without regard to the fairer sex.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Mel

OK, I guess the question is now what is this "X" you speak of? If it's sex on the beach, well of course that's more fun :)!!

Mel

Tahoebrian5

I'm not sure what the situation was but there is one thing I've learned... Just cause we are obsessed with riding doesn't mean other people want to hear about it. I make a point to not talk about riding to people that don't ride.. Specially when I've been drinking :)
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

GreenMachine

You don't talk about rocking out while riding either.  

You're a man of mystery.

GreenMachine

Quote from: Mel on November 25, 2014, 08:01:54 AM
OK, I guess the question is now what is this "X" you speak of? If it's sex on the beach, well of course that's more fun :)!!

Mel
I just said take gender out of it.  What are you doing having sex on the beach by...  Ewww!

Oh, nevermind!

Mel

GM, the reason for my smart ass posts is because your original post was so vague or generic ;)! I think you should tell the story in detail, who/what/where/why, so we could then answer in a more productive way.

GreenMachine

:evil1  It's never dull going around in circles with you is it?  Your wife must love being around you. 

Giving all those specifics would lead.  I think it's a fairly simple poll questionnaire, one that given the context has an opinionated answer that most would feel comfortable giving.  It's kind of a captive audience too, but I'm still curious how others would answer.

I will say this however about the poll.  Some of the background came from this weekend where SL had me splitting a side with his travel adventures.  Sure, such stories could be brought up under a variety of circumstances, but from what I'm gathering about riding is that a lot of what comes from riders/riding also includes liberal doses of laughter.  Whether it's from stories or spinning out in the dirt from crashing or hijinks while street/dirt riding, riders in general seem to be good spirited fun-to-be-around type people.

And it's in those ways, laughter & good spirited, that I find riding exceptionally appealing over other outdoor activities.

Take fishing/hiking.  Enjoyable & relaxing, but probably more serious than funny.
Take hunting/target shooting.  Probably very serious and rarely funny or not taken lightly.
Take running/walking.  More self-absorbing and thought provoking than funny.

Mel

GM, I see you haven't done a lot of fishing, hiking, hunting, target shooting, running, or walking :|)! I've done plenty of them all in my life, and with all of them there is always a ton of laughs...you must have been with the wrong mates if you didn't laugh a lot while doing those "other" activities :)!

Mel

GreenMachine

I get the impression you skip sentences when you read, Mel.  You're saying you split your sides open more when you:

(option)
a) Fish
b) Hike
c) Hunt
d) Target shoot
e) Run
f) Walk

Than from what you get from riding and hanging with your riding brothers/sisters. 

Fishing?  I can answer that one for you.  Shhhh!  No, really!  Shhhh!!!  Hiking/running/walking?  Shut up already.  I want to take in nature, not hear about your wart removal story.  Hunting and target shooting?  Really?  That must be a barrel of laughs.  Seriously.  :|)

Mel

GM, scroll up to my last post and tell me where I say that I laugh MORE when doing the other sports vs riding...are you smoking crack ;D! Don't get me wrong, I love riding, but I don't do it just for laughs. Laughs are just a byproduct that goes along with the activity, being it riding or any of the other options mentioned. Let me break it down in detail that even a Kawasaki rider will understand ;)!

Fishing

I don't know who you fish with, but when I used to fish with my bud that I was in Vietnam with, we be laughing and joking all the time on the boat while our lines were in the water. The laughter would continue when one us would lose a fish or reel in a little midget of a fish :)!

Hiking

When out hiking with friends we would be taking in and admiring the scenery, but also ribbing each other when one would trip or be sucking wind up a climb and laughing our ass off.

Hunting

Hunting is kind of like riding, as you are not talking much while hunting, but when you stop and make camp, the stories and laughter are non stop into the night. Just like riding where you aren't talking while riding, but when you stop for a break or lunch, the stories and laughter begin.

Target Shoot

Target shooting is all about ribbing each other on your performance, such as missing the target altogether or shooting a group that you could drive a truck through :). Shooting clays with your shotgun and when they launch, you line up on them and pull the trigger and it goes click because you forgot to reload...yes there is a lot of laughter :)! I could go on and on with funny stories while target shooting.

Run

Running with friends is always fun and we're telling stories, or again, ribbing each other into laughter. Just one example was with my running partner back home who was one of my Margaritaville girls. We're running and she says she has to pee over in the bushes and not to sneak over to look at her na na, well of course I was splitting a side on that comment. Again, just one of many example of laughter on the runs.

Walking

When on walks with friends we're always telling funny stories, ribbing each other, and having some good laughs. I could give you a zillion examples, and yes I know zillion is not a real word :)!

So, I will reiterate, it really does depend on who you choose to do all these different activities with. I do not split my sides open more doing these other activities than from riding and hanging with my riding brothers/sisters, nor vice versa. The people I choose to hang out with for any of these activities is what generates the laughter, not the activity itself 8)!

Mel

GreenMachine

I feel sadness for you then Mel. ???  Wish I could share what I'm experiencing while out riding our street rides & dirt.  Maybe riding a Kawasaki or now my Honda, is just that much more enjoyable, easy and care free as compared to the sophistication and concentration required when riding a FZ Yammy.   ;)

Sounds like you get your share of ribbing and story telling, but the laughter is more mild than what I"m talking about.  Maybe riding the goats is more serious, which is why I'm not able to keep up...I cannot concentrate on the same level as I should, letting my mind wander and my funny bone get its fill.  :D