Main Menu

77* in Sac today.

Started by GreenMachine, February 15, 2016, 10:01:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

If I can get away from chores, I may head over that way to soak up some Spring weather.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

RichVee4

I did 49 from Sonora to Auburn today, conditions were great, a little hazzy but very warm and nice.  Would have been better if I wasnt working and was on my VFR.
Live long and prosper \V/

GreenMachine

Almost turned around there was so much westbound traffic today.  For me it started at Boreal, but I heard it went all the way into the Bay Area.  20 MPH stop-n-go.   >:(

But I had the bike, so I filtered...right past a CHP...who moved over and let me through.  I was within 10 MPH of traffic.  By Immigrant Gap it opened up again. The early bird missed the crap traffic, I suppose.  On the way home after dusk it was worse.  3 day holiday traffic.  

Overall a darned pretty good afternoon!  Worked up a little sweat on Placer Hills Road/aka Auburn St.  Best moment was coming back by Nevada City.  Truck towing a boat moved over in a short pull-out, just before a 30 MPH right-hander.  Dropped her down two gears and zipped by. The turn immediately followed, so I continued accelerating, being courteous to the fine gentleman.  ;D  Made a bit of grinding noise while having some early season fun.  Apparently no rust.

Hwy 20 was a little bit dirty more towards I-80, but clean and dry past the lookout.

Had to be back in Reno for work, which was the smart move.  The snow in the mountains drops the temps quickly after the sun goes down.  It was a warm one down there today though and the rivers were flowing fairly well.  Nice to see!
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

RichVee4

Nice you were able to take advantage of the warm weather over the hill and have some fun.   It was very spring like in CA.  I went over 80 west in the morning and traffic was heavier than normal not as bad as it was later in the day.   We were able to do a couple local rides over the weekend which was nice, but winter is returning so the bikes are back in "storage". 

Vegasrider

Taking the Multi to Santa Clara this Friday evening for some Motogymkhana action. It's a two day event.   Hope the weather holds up.  If anyone is interested in going, PM me. 

RichVee4

Interested to hear how the trip down was.  I was in Carson Friday and drove back to Reno in the afternoon and weather was very unsettled.  At one point I got sand blasted with blowing sand, my windshield is all pitted now.

Vegasrider

Quote from: RichVee4 on February 21, 2016, 08:18:25 AM
Interested to hear how the trip down was.  I was in Carson Friday and drove back to Reno in the afternoon and weather was very unsettled.  At one point I got sand blasted with blowing sand, my windshield is all pitted now.

OMG! I rode down thru Carson City Friday afternoon, decided to take 50 to Sac since 80 was getting a lot of snow.  The wind was horrific.  All semi's were shut down.  I was going about 80-85mph cutting through the 60-70mph gusts and crosswinds.  Faster you go the better the more effective you are cutting fighting the crosswinds.  I never pressed down my handlebars so hard in my life trying to keep the bike from drifting out of my lane.  I must have put on a great show for the drivers behind me.  That was the worst part of the ride on Friday, the wind.  Hwy 50 had tons of snow, but the road was relatively in great shape.  Hit rain from Sac into San Jose.  It was a real hard mist that's really hard to see out of your visor.  Timing was bad, hit major rush hour traffic through Sac.  First time filtering with the panniers. God bless those Cali drivers, they are the best when it comes to motorcycle awareness.  Most saw me coming and they all parted away giving me lots of room.  Still took me over six hours to get there.  I'm back now, came over Donner Pass this afternoon, the weather and view was spectacular.   

RichVee4

That would have been an interesting ride, glad you made it safely.  Image there weren't many bikes on the road! Conditions at higher elevations tend to be more severe.  

Dont have many rocks like this falling on the road, luckly.  Rock rolled onto hwy 50 near Glenbrook, Saturday.  From where its stopped it must have rolled across all lanes of traffic.

http://www.ktvn.com/story/31275817/boulder-rolled-into-us-50-reducing-westbound-travel-to-one-lane

Vegasrider