Main Menu

What does DMV check in order to register a motorcycle?

Started by lhyx, April 24, 2014, 08:30:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lhyx

:r6y :r6y :r6y :r6y :r6y :r6y :r6y :r6y
What does DMV check in order to register a motorcycle?

Is it only the bike frame? Is it the engine?

My friend wants to use his track bike he bought(no title), to be converted to a street legal use. What does he have to buy? A new frame?

I appreciate all your informations, Thank You in advance!
Lix

dub

Mine are registered in CA, so I'm like the least qualified person to answer your question, but I read around on the DMV site and I don't think they check the engine number. There is no space for an engine number on a Nevada title and there is no space to write it down on the Vehicle Inspection Certificate (VP 015).

So I think if just bought a used frame with a title and swapped everything over he would be able to register it.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

lhyx

That is my guess too. Just look for frame that has a title and he should be good. Thanks.
Lix

RocketRider

If you're transferring from out of state (like I did) they want the title, plates, and you have to do a vehicle inspection (check bike VIN to match title pretty much)
PIN IT TO WIN IT!

Please support my race team Rocket Pace Racing!https://www.facebook.com/RocketPaceRacing
We're accepting everything from Sponsors, to Facebook likes, to simple pats on the back :)

Thank you Apex-Speed and EBC Brakes for supporting our efforts to go faster!

RedLeader

WHen I bought a bike from out of state I had to get the vehicle inspection. It was a few years ago, but pretty sure they just check the vin against the title. Possibly check to make sure the bike has all operating lights and such, but dont remember. Give them a call, im sure they will tell you.
"Why are motorcycle dealers closed on Sundays? Because Sunday is for worship... Catholics go to church, Motorcyclists go to the track." -Justin Skalka

lhyx

Lix

cobra23

I'm drinkin scotch right now... I could not tell you. :D