Main Menu

Maryland motorcyclists spends a day in jail.

Started by Justin, April 24, 2010, 07:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

live2ride

So he got cited from the unmarked cop cuz when he passed the marked car the beat up honda was going just as fast as him?  If you read the written report also Uhler says the guy revved his engine when he backed up but I didnt hear it on video.  Seems like a bunch of lies.  He got caught whatever but his house being raided for putting the video on youtube.  WTH.   
I live life like the captain of a sinking ship

renowingnut

Uhler had to try to lie his way out of the whole situation since the whole stop went down in flames. Amazing how cops can get away with such dirty honesty and those of us who are honest get shafted because the law thinks we are/were lying.

MotoPutz

well we are all bad people because we ride sportbikes...   didn't you know

renowingnut

whatever. We are not bad people. Law Enforcement need to be level with the law and not above the law. Wish most law enforcement officials work with the 'spirit' of the law instead of always/mostly working with the letter of the law.

ellis44n

Re: Maryland motorcyclists spends a day in jail.
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 03:34:48 pm » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If that cop would have pulled that on me he probably would have got shot. Unmarked are not there to pull people over. They are supposed to have a black and white pull you over if they need you stopped. No lights, no nothing getting out of the car pulling a gun, I would have assumed he was threating my life. That could have been handled a lot better, especially when there is a black and white not far behind. 

+1 thanks steve

Justin

I agree that the short video would have gotten the cop shot. 

n10sive

Quote from: ellis44n on April 26, 2010, 06:48:32 PM

Re: Maryland motorcyclists spends a day in jail.
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 03:34:48 pm » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If that cop would have pulled that on me he probably would have got shot. Unmarked are not there to pull people over. They are supposed to have a black and white pull you over if they need you stopped. No lights, no nothing getting out of the car pulling a gun, I would have assumed he was threating my life. That could have been handled a lot better, especially when there is a black and white not far behind. 

+1 thanks steve

I do believe from other sources that there was a marked car behind the bike and the unmarked just did the boxing.
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

rick07r6

I heard about this awhile ago.

Here is the original post from the rider:
http://www.1000rr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=73014
(you may need a login)

Long story short, he wasn't running he passed the unmarked while riding like a jackass (which he admits). He didn't realize that he was being pulled over and was backing up because there was a plain clothes officer who got out of his unmarked, no lights or siren vehicle and drew down on the rider. The officer obviously was worried that the rider might run (which I don't think warrants being shot anyways). I believe the officer should have identified himself before/during drawing down, but i I do understand that it was the heat of the moment and everyone acts differently under stress.

What I do have a problem with is the state seizing his property and threating jail time (up to five years!) for filming the officer.  It is apparently illegal in the state of MD to record audio without the consent of all parties (loophole in wiretap laws that include public areas).
Heres more on that part of the story:
http://www.abc2news.com/news/local/story/Motorcyclist-Charged-for-Recording/pfFRVeEePU6qFr5fAq-tlA.cspx

Justin

"The SSA Dream Team. . .
. . .where guilty is a state of mind"

rick07r6

so out of curiosity, if you are so sure that he was running and the cops are sure of that as well, why didn't he get cited for that offense and/or arrested at the scene? I'm assuming you didn't read his statement from the other post where he openly admits to ridning like a moron and even states that he himself did not think the police officer did anything heinous. the only reason we are even talking about this is because the camera was rolling and the officer got offended that his mug was smeared all over the internet while being hasty with a gun. If he wasn't filming, which i am not saying he shouldn't be allowed to, this whole event would have been over with a speeding ticket.

/rant

XIII

Quote from: rick07r6 on April 27, 2010, 12:18:59 AM
so out of curiosity, if you are so sure that he was running and the cops are sure of that as well, why didn't he get cited for that offense and/or arrested at the scene? I'm assuming you didn't read his statement from the other post where he openly admits to ridning like a moron and even states that he himself did not think the police officer did anything heinous. the only reason we are even talking about this is because the camera was rolling and the officer got offended that his mug was smeared all over the internet while being hasty with a gun. If he wasn't filming, which i am not saying he shouldn't be allowed to, this whole event would have been over with a speeding ticket.

/rant

solid +1

Justin

The event WAS over with the speeding ticket, and I read his statements, thoroughly.  

The way he exited the highway (fast lane to ramp at over 70mph barely keeping it off the reflectors) the number of times he nervously checked his mirrors on the off ramp, the fact that the marked patrol car was closing on him, coupled with the huge look over the shoulder. . .  It was reasonable to think he might try to evade. (hence the gun, with the felony style stop)
 The bike could have been used as a weapon against the officer, or a chase could have ensued through surface streets with a motorcyclist that already has shown he will go 160 mph. (yup 160)
 They didn't charge him with fleeing, because he was stopped by the unmarked before it any worse and he could give that famous lie 'i didn't realize anyone was pulling me over.'
If the police were the douche bags that so many people think them to be, he would have been arrested and charged with a lot more than a single citation for traveling 80 mph in a 65 mph zone.  
     That's a cool cop. . . not a douche.  

If I took a 10 second clip that would make you look like a Nazi and publish it on you tube, You'd be furious.
Here's where the constitution comes in.  He's allowed to make anyone look like a Nazi, (or an idiot)
It was discovered by the State Police. . .  Someone higher up probably applied for the warrant, doubtful it was Uhler himself, Uhler was more than willing to tack on some other driving offenses at that point.

It's suspicious that there is audio on the short video, yet it is omitted from the longer one.  Oh, yeah. . . 160mph sounds very incriminating (think Andy Allen on the front straight), and maybe we'd hear some incriminating verbal evidence on the exit ramp, too.

Take the speeding ticket, count your blessings, and go home.