Main Menu
  • Welcome to SSA Sierra Sportbike Association | Reno Nevada Motorcycle Trackday Weekend Riding Club.

4/18 ride

Started by RedLeader, April 15, 2010, 10:38:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedLeader

Myself and a few friends are going on a ride this Sunday up to Iron Mountain rd, just wondering if anyone would like to join us? There are a few of us in Reno, and hopefully a few in Carson, so the Reno riders will be meeting up at the Starbucks on Mt Rose (by Galena) at 9:30, and then riding out to meet the rest of the people in Carson. Should be leaving the Carson Starbucks (the one off North Carson St, right by the McDonald's) at about 10:30. Should be nice weather and the more the merrier!
"Why are motorcycle dealers closed on Sundays? Because Sunday is for worship... Catholics go to church, Motorcyclists go to the track." -Justin Skalka

bkrblood

ive never gone out that way before where is that area? im up in cold springs
John Bovet

RedLeader

Here's a shortened link to the map, or pretty close to where we will be going.
http://bit.ly/aQlVbz
"Why are motorcycle dealers closed on Sundays? Because Sunday is for worship... Catholics go to church, Motorcyclists go to the track." -Justin Skalka

bkrblood

holly shit! thats a hell of a ride especially all the way from cold springs!
John Bovet

Justin

you are too new to complain.  LOL

Justin

I just checked that map.   It IS a long ride! (my bad, bkrblood)

RedLeader

i believe its just over 200 round trip. a bit long, but it will be nice to be on the bike for more that the 15 min it takes to do giger and or the truck route.

youngster775

Quote from: RedLeader on April 15, 2010, 11:36:31 PM
i believe its just over 200 round trip. a bit long, but it will be nice to be on the bike for more that the 15 min it takes to do giger and or the truck route.
15 min? geeeezzzz it takes you a long time to do that ride!  8)
2006 R1-50th,2004 R6 trackbike,2005 GSXR-600,2001 ZX6 trackbike,2005 YZ-250F

A DRAGON

Please Remember their is still a lot of sand and Ice one the roads this early in the year. When the weather starts to warm up everyone is always ready to get out and ride. You have all summer to get out and ride. With the snow still on the mountain tops the wind is pretty cold. Water on the roadway it can be real dicey. Stay on your toes and keep your speed down so you can stop when ever you want on a DIME!!!!!!   Look out for everything early in the Year. 
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

GreenMachine

It is a bit early for riding that area.

Also highway 88 is like going to the deep south.  Officer Rosco makes a gauntlet of the stretch of highway between Ham's station and Dew Drop and another patrol takes it over from Ham Station to the summit.  55 MPH is too fast and 53 is too slow.  And his out of date radar detector that he lost the certificate for will provide all the proof he needs.  Either speed can get you cited.  True.  It's open range, which means that the officer determines what speed is safe.  Fun stuff.

Anyway, he and bipolar judge Boss Hog won't let sportbikes travel that stretch w/o citation on the lenient side and they'll impound your bike and arrest you on trumped up charges on the harsh side. 

Best of luck.  Maybe Rosco will have the day off.  I won't go back to that area and the route has been deleted on my GPS.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

n10sive

For what it's worth, that is not called Iron Mountain Road. It's Emigrant Trail. The turn off is at the old Iron Mountain Ski resort off of Hwy 88, or Exit 61 (Rye Patch Reservoir) on Hwy 50.

I would NOT ride this route this time of year folks. This is going to be a bust ride. Emigrant Trail is NOT PLOWED all winter. This means there will be snow, and icy corners. The area south of Kirkwood on Hwy 88 is also sketch due to snow and shady corners going up to the summit.

Fairly dangerous ride in my opinion right now.
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

99 900ss duc

i dont think i want to do that ride just yet, as dale said its a fairly dangerous ride right now

Bigcat

Morgan, as it would have it, I just did an exploratory ride to Icehouse and beyond yesterday. Went up spooner, down 50 to icehouse. Spooner is fine, 50 is a little dirty. About what we have on Geiger. Icehouse was awesome. I could not believe how clean it was. Wentworth Springs is snowed in and closed. Turned around and did Icehouse again ;D Saw Mosquito rd on the gps coming out of Placerville so I thought I would check it out. WOW, goat trail. Think of ebbits with sketchy pavement. Great dual sport road though. Picked up 193 no. and then 49 into Auburn and 80 home. 320 miles. Still cannot believe how clean Icehouse was. Can't say how Imigrant trail is, but if it's bad you could always hit icehouse. Only saw two leos until 80.

Hope this helps.

Bigcat

Bkrblood, this is a pretty typical route and mileage that you can expect from our
Sunday rides. You'll have have so much fun that the miles are easier than you think. I'm out in your area,off the Panther exit, and would be happy to show you the way.

nvgixxer

I agree with Dale and others, a bit too soon in the year for that route. I took a short one south on 88, then Diamond Valley Road and then on into Markleville a couple days ago. That "flatlands/boring" route is clear of snow runoff and sand, but at least more safe safe and warmer this time of year. Needless to say, no where near as nice as the mountain routes on the Cali side. Oh well................soon enough I'll be joining you guys on Sundays. I'm gettin' antsy for Ebbetts, Monitor and Sonora passes in late May/early June!
Be safe guys! 
2015 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2012 Kawasaki ZX14R (sold)
2009 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2007 Suzuki GSXR1000 (totaled)
2005 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2003 Suzuki GSXR1000 (sold)