Main Menu

65mph High Side on 395N.

Started by KdUbRaven, April 09, 2009, 06:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KdUbRaven

I guess I should start by saying that I am lucky to even be typing this story on my own...THANKS TO WEARING GEAR!!!! I've been telling my friends since I started riding (about a year ago) that I WILL NOT ride (even to the corner store) without at the very least, my jacket, gloves, helmet & at least some jeans (if my only pair kevlar ICON riding jeans are in the wash). This day, proved to be a testiment as to WHY I insist, every time.

I was going home for lunch on a sunny afternoon (Monday 4/6/09) and literally JUST merged onto the Interstate. Traffic was light and I was following an SUV so I wanted to get over. I wasn't following too close but still wanted the open lane. I checked my mirrors, all was clear, and then right in the middle of a head turn to double check for traffic in the left lane, I heard it....the screeching of tires ahead of me. I spun around and looked up but it was too late. The SUV I was following had it's brakes locked up, skidding out of control as a result of being cut off by another truck driver. I tried to stop in time but was approaching too fast and had to dump the bike.

As a result, I ended up high siding some how and was spit over the top of the bike (a very beautiful 06 CB600RR btw) onto my left shoulder, head, and back. I slid for an estimated 15ft. like that before I began to tumble another 10ft. or so and came to rest on my back, wind knocked out of me, staring at the sky, wondering if was about to be run over.  The sad part was, the lady I was following admitted she was looking in her rear view at how nice my bike looked, instead of paying attention to the jack-@$$ in front of her.  Yet, here I am, the one with the pain, damage, AND A TICKET!!!! (for failing to maintain a safe stopping distance).  Key note....I STOPPED...my bike however, must have slid to her back bumper where it barely tapped her.  The officer had to even ask where the damage was!!!!   >:( >:(

As I stated, I was wearing my jacket (A-Stars "Breeze"), Gloves (Joe Rocket leather), and Helmet, (SHOEI RF-1000) which all saved my hide...literally. I did suffer a few injuries, but none life threatening, including, two small scrapes on my left knee, 3 broken ribs, a fractured heel, and a fractured thumb (from smacking the concrete somewhere in the tumble). The bike flipped a few times causing some pretty heavy damage to ALL the plastics and handle bars but I did have a Shogun Crash-Kit installed that seems to have taken the brunt of the damage to the major components. The sad part is, we're about to enter the best part of riding season and as soon as I heal up...I WANT TO RIDE!...but I don't have the coin to repair my bike, let alone buy all new gear.

So what I'm hoping you all can do is point me in the right direction for getting up an running as inexpensively as possible. Non-OEM plastics (race plastic will work, I don't care at this point), where to go to check for frame alignment (just in case) Any and all help would be appreicated. Take a look at the pics and give me your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Keegan

weavefish

It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens. - Woody Allen

Highlander

Great that your OK, good gear is what saved my hide 3 years ago. Your accident sounds like an episode James at NSC (I know bad word here) experianced fortunately with a better outcome. Car ahead stopped for what he could tell at first no reason and he had to do a fast panic stop, rear wheel up but not over, woke him up though. Found out it was a cop car pulled in front of another car two up from him (I may be off on details). Causing the chain reaction stops of vehicles.

Sorry about your bike though, :'(
I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity.
E.A.Poe

yzinger

Wow. Very sorry to hear about this man. The good thing is you are here talking to us. Damage does not look all that bad from this point of view. Nothing that will keep you from riding at least. Go see Steve at 2wp. After a little taunting he will help you out. (JK on the taunting, love you Steve!) Again, glad to read your okay!!!

cobra23

Thats what is so bad about traffic cops nailing people for speeding not just plain being stupid. The truck driver should have been givin a ticket. Ahh but that would be very difficult to catch would'nt it. A motorcycle traveling 10 mph faster than traffic, now that is easy to spot and write up.

You should not have received a ticket, tis the season of revenue collection!! Following too close, hmm how do you compute that against a verhicle whos tires are locked up.

Glad to hear you are OK.

oldBolt

Small price to pay for still being alive.  Congrats on that.  That must have been some site to watch. I can't picture how you can dump the bike and highside but I guess anything is possible while your locking up your brakes.  Try to get your insurance to total it, buy it from them make it a track bike and use any funds they give you to make a replacement puchase.  If the lady in the SUV files a claim against your insurance and your under 40 yrs old you might not be able to afford street insurance for a period of time.  Lets hope not.  Seem insurance companies equate young men and high preformance machines as risky.  Your story reminds me of those reports and studies( maybe the HURT report etc) where they point out even the fastest reaction time is not enought time when your in the zone nothing is getting you out of impact except to manuver.  Those pictures and your story is a great testment.  Heres hoping you heal fast.
"I have inhaled, exhaled everything." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

MotoPutz

Glad to hear your ok Keegan. I would suggest ebay as many parts as possible. Thats what I did for my couple wrecks. :)  Did you need help looking over your bike or just help finding parts?

D1NO

Damage don't look that bad on the pics but glad to hear you're ok... +1 on ebay, 600rr.net and a little elbow grease. ;D

Justin

I agree with Alan on getting the ticket.  The ticket is the crash.  Technically the LEO is correct, though. Anyone who strucks the vehicle in front (even if struck from behind first, is liable)  It sounds like you don't have collision insurance from how you are talking.  There are cheap plastics to be had though, or make it naked.  You don't NEED the plastics. The race-replica plastics on ebay are cheap.
You had most of the gear, although many would argue that jeans aren't proper gear.  What about your feet? You didn't mention what you were or weren't wearing.
glad you are fine.

Justin

Quote from: Highlander on April 09, 2009, 07:16:23 PM. . . at NSC (I know bad word here). . .
I don't think NSC is a 'bad word' on our board.
They do there thing, and that's cool by me and the other SSA people I know.
:)
There's more than one flavor of ice-cream. Even if my flavor is the best!

Adiggity

That sucks man. Yeah unfortunately that is how the law works. If you rear end anyone for any reason, you are going to get a ticket. Stupid law, but a law none the less. I've heard some crazy reasons for people rear ending other people and they always get a ticket for following too close.

Ebay is definitely a good place to go for parts and gear. You can sometimes find some good deals on the bike forums too. Post in the wanted sections of BARF, 600rr.net, southbayriders, here, any other sportbike sites, and look around in the classifieds too. Do you have insurance?

KdUbRaven

Thank you all for the suggestions. I truly do appreciate it but I am unfamiliar with a lot of acronyms you guys are using (ie. Steve at 2wp or James at NSC) for various vendors etc. so full names of businesses adn even a web link or email addy wuould be a huge help. 

As for the cops saying it was my fault or someone else's fault...I was like - "WHAT EVER!  I'm just happy to be alive!" LOL!  I mean, sure, it is easy to "Monday Morning Quarterback" as to WHY I went down. Most likely, it was too much front break and I didn't high side at all. Truth is, it happened so fast that I could have just pitched myself over OR could have had too much rear brake, only to have the rear catch again, then spit me over. Either way, I went over and lived to tell about it.

My main concern now (aside from getting these ribs healed, is determining exactly what needs replacing on the bike. So yes Putz, I think I do need some assistance in looking over the bike to determine exactly what is salvageable and what is toast.  I mean, how do I know if my forks are, uh, forked? How do I know if my frame is straight, etc.? Obviously I would need to take it somewhere - just need to know where. I remember Sam from the mobile dyno at the last track day mentioning something about a dude w/ a mobile machine that could take all the measurements and tell me if it was "true" or not.  And if it wasn't, he could straighten it out.  Anyone know about that? 

Also, would you recommend giving this a try on my own (somewhat mechanically inclinded, have tools, and can follow directions) or am I realistically just looking for a motorcycle specific repair shop at this point?  Or will most auto repair places be able to do this as well? This will all be out of pocket as I only had Liability coverage to keep my costs low. Oh well. Live and learn. Thanks again for all the replies. Keep em' coming!  You guys rock!

Adiggity

Quote from: KdUb600RR on April 10, 2009, 11:39:19 AM
Thank you all for the suggestions. I truly do appreciate it but I am unfamiliar with a lot of acronyms you guys are using (ie. Steve at 2wp or James at NSC) for various vendors etc. so full names of businesses adn even a web link or email addy wuould be a huge help.  
NSC=Nevada Sportbike Club. It's one of the other clubs in Reno.  2wcp=2 wheel custom performance. A shop in reno and an SSA member http://www.sierrasportbike.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=180 BARF= http://bayarearidersforum.com/

http://www.southbayriders.com/

http://www.600rr.net/

I assume you know SSA's address?? lol. Google does wonders.  ;)

QuoteAs for the cops saying it was my fault or someone else's fault...I was like - "WHAT EVER!  I'm just happy to be alive!" LOL!  I mean, sure, it is easy to "Monday Morning Quarterback" as to WHY I went down. Most likely, it was too much front break and I didn't high side at all. Truth is, it happened so fast that I could have just pitched myself over OR could have had too much rear brake, only to have the rear catch again, then spit me over. Either way, I went over and lived to tell about it.

Great attitude to have.

QuoteI mean, how do I know if my forks are, uh, forked? How do I know if my frame is straight, etc.? Obviously I would need to take it somewhere - just need to know where. I remember Sam from the mobile dyno at the last track day mentioning something about a dude w/ a mobile machine that could take all the measurements and tell me if it was "true" or not.  And if it wasn't, he could straighten it out.  Anyone know about that? 

It was mention by scotinexcile previously. The only one I know of is GP Frame and Wheel. His name is Gerry Piaza and he lives in Napa. He can check and straighten your frame and wheels if need be. He is very good at it and been doing it for a long time.
http://www.gpframeandwheel.com/

MotoPutz

I or someone else would be happy to come look over the wreckage and tell you the whats what on your bike for the most part. Not including the frame for straightness but a good once or twice over for visable signs of damage.

PM sent.

n10sive

yeah...Putz has lots of experience crashing and repairing bikes LOL
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike