Main Menu

CalTrans Clearing SR-89 Monitor Pass for Spring

Started by dub, April 17, 2017, 11:38:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dub

QuoteCaltrans' District 10 maintenance crews have been hard at work on State Route 89/Monitor Pass in Alpine County, following one of the most wet and wild winters in memory. DIstrict 10 is also busy clearing SR-4/Ebbets Pass & SR-120/Sonora Pass.
Here are views from SR-89, while the road is being cleared.
The crews not only clear snow from the road, but also boulders - some the size of small automobiles - trees, shrubs, rocks, mud and other debris that flows onto the roadway. They also inspect the road, bridges, culverts to make sure the road is safe for the public. They also replace signs that tumbled during the winter.

Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

Vegasrider

Pretty impressive shots, I'm must get some snow pictures with my bike before the snow gets dirty.  You think it will be open this Sunday?

dub

RichVee4

Thats an impressive amount of snow on Monitor for April.   Still sticking with my Tioga opening estimate.
Live long and prosper \V/

dub

GreenMachine

Impressive to see the snow levels like that for a change.  I've ridden through the Aspen grove near the Monitor summit a couple times in the past where snow lingers into June.  I'll be interested to see if this much snow makes a difference or not with the ever increasing warmer overnight temps.  No matter what though, it's going to be a shorter riding season this year, but with more spectacular water scenery.  And there will certainly be more road damage and surface runoff.  Will have to keep our rides in check that much deeper into the riding season.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

RichVee4

Enjoying the snow pictures this year, hard to believe how much snow is left.   Crews are working to clear snow on Tioga Pass.   Big task.
Live long and prosper \V/

Vegasrider

dub

QuoteMONITOR PASS/SR-89 IS SCHEDULED TO OPEN TODAY
Alpine County – The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) has removed the winter snow, cleared the debris and made the necessary repairs to open State Route 89 over Monitor Pass on Monday, May 8, 2017, at 1:00 p.m.
The diligent work of Caltrans crews enabled the opening of the pass for motorists who utilize this route. Monitor Pass was closed for the 2016-17 winter season on November 30, 2016. (Below are some photos taken during this year's clearing of Monitor Pass.
According to records dating back to 2004-2005, today's opening marks the latest date that Monitor Pass has opened in the past 13 years, as well as the first opening day during the month of May. The previous latest-opening date of Monitor Pass occurred during the 2010-2011 season (April 29, 2011.)

GreenMachine

I want to ride up there just to see what it looks like up there.

The Aspen grove on the west side always holds its snow long after too. 
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Sub-Sonic

Went up and down Ebbetts and Sonora passes today from the 'west side'  of the hill.  Both still closed as indicated on Caltrans, but they were plowed after the closure points (lake alpine and kennedy meadows), with just some cones and and closed sign to deter traffic.
Looks like they may open in 2-3 weeks, will make a nice loop.

dub

Quote from: Sub-Sonic on May 21, 2017, 08:52:20 PM...but they were plowed after the closure points (lake alpine and kennedy meadows), with just some cones and and closed sign to deter traffic...

Shoulda kept going.

renowingnut

anyone been up to Monitor Pass recently? Hoping to get out and ride Monitor in a couple of weeks.

dub

Sonora Pass is clear and was scheduled to open today, but they have delayed the opening due to the current weather in the region.

dub