Main Menu
  • Welcome to SSA Sierra Sportbike Association | Reno Nevada Motorcycle Trackday Weekend Riding Club.

New Member Post

Started by Red_Comet, February 03, 2017, 04:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red_Comet

Greetings all.

Just another recent transplant from the SF Bay Area looking for affordable housing.  :P

Looking forward to meeting some of you at a trackday or on a group ride so I can learn the area better.

Ride safe!

Sean T.

GreenMachine

:welcome2 to the :flagSSA

Glad you found us and look forward to seeing you out there.

I'm sure there will be many who will love having another trackday rider here on the forum. 

See last year's group ride calendar for where we ride.  We'll probably get a later start on many of those routes this season, simply due to the added snowpack.  Not quite as easy to ride them in early Spring as the coastal mountains.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

RichVee4

Welcome! I left the east bay 17 yrs ago and moved to Reno and haven't missed CA once.  I'll admit I get a little jealous when I'm over in CA and see people riding in the winter months but not enough to ever consider living there again.  Hope to meet you on a ride this spring. 

Live long and prosper \V/

Red_Comet

Thanks guys.

Yeah, going for a Christmas Day ride through the Santa Cruz mountains is hard to beat (since I lived in Redwood City and a 10 minute ride from Alice's), but I've recently learned about those Timbersleds.  So I'm going to rent one for a day to try it out then maybe get a used 450 or 500 and buy a conversion kit so I can get my moto fix all year long.

slmoto

Welcome Sean.

Are you the one I met in the Smart & Final parking lot? (I was on the KLR at the time) If that's you glad you found the site.

dub

He Sean, welcome to the area.

Quote from: Red_Comet on February 04, 2017, 09:11:24 AMbut I've recently learned about those Timbersleds.  So I'm going to rent one for a day to try it out then maybe get a used 450 or 500 and buy a conversion kit so I can get my moto fix all year long.

I too lust after a snowbike in these good snow years. (I used to lust after a snowmobile before snowbiking was a thing) I get serious FOMO when I see beautiful pictures of my friends in the snowy wilderness on their machines, or videos of them ripping it up having a blast.

But then I remember that they are like $6k (assuming you already have the bike) for something I can only use a few weekends in a good snow year, and the rest of time it's going to be in the way in my garage. My friends who are into snowmobiles where not stoked when we went through 4 drought winters and they could barely even ride. Meanwhile those were great years for riding dirt bikes in the valley. If you need a year round moto fix, just get a regular dirt bike and ride it all winter long.

Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

RichVee4

Have seen this on CL this year.   Try it out to see if you like it.  This area has a lot of dirt options in the off season, check the dirt section.

https://reno.craigslist.org/mcy/5938596860.html

Live long and prosper \V/

Red_Comet

Quote from: slmoto on February 04, 2017, 10:13:32 AM
Welcome Sean.

Are you the one I met in the Smart & Final parking lot? (I was on the KLR at the time) If that's you glad you found the site.

Yep.  That was me.  Thanks for the site info.

Quote from: RichVee4 on February 07, 2017, 06:03:49 PM
Have seen this on CL this year.   Try it out to see if you like it.  This area has a lot of dirt options in the off season, check the dirt section.

https://reno.craigslist.org/mcy/5938596860.html

You read my mind!  There just aren't the prolific number of paved twisties here in the Reno area, so I've been looking at dirt bikes as my next purchase and it should be a good excuse to get my dirt skills (which are poor) improved.

Thanks guys.

Vegasrider

Welcome, I'm sure everything will seem affordable coming from the Bay area, especially housing.   Although the cost of housing has increased due to the fact that Tesla has set up camp.  Reno is great, everything is within 20 minutes.  Have you gone up Geiger Grade up to Virgina City yet? We also have the Spring Street Vibrations coming up in early June, a popular motorcycle event, but the fall event is much larger.   It is possible to ride year long, despite what others say.