Main Menu

Taking ideas for many overnight rides in 2017

Started by GreenMachine, January 09, 2017, 06:49:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

Mostly street, but could include dirt.  Give me your ideas of some good overnight rides or some you'd like others to join you on.

Always dependent upon favorable weather & seasonal conditions, of course.  And heavily dependent on whether the route includes twisty roads.  Not looking for touring as much as I am looking for finding cool roads & destinations.  Thinking of either adding Sat/Sun overnights or perhaps turn the ride into getting a jump by leaving on a Friday, overnight at one destination, then another on Saturday and ride home on Sunday (Monday?)

Travel gear will be minimalist if by bike only.  I packed too much gear on the OoB II ride and it really set me back into touring mode with that configuration.   :-\

• OoB III will be one.  We could try getting a timeshare instead of a motel.
  • Fort Bragg overnight or anywhere where there are giant Sequoias would be awesome.
  • Anything from San Barbara north on the coast.
  • Even some camp rides where we could truck one or two bikes and gear either to a semi-local to far away camping area and use that as a base for hitting up some great roads.
  • Berlin and some other ghost town destinations would be cool too.  I could bring my rock hammer and seek out my riches or some cool fossils.

Stuff like that.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

RichVee4

Planning a trip to COTA in April for Moto GP.  Decided to fly to TX then renting a car for the weekend.   Thought I'd mention it in case anyone else was considering going.   

I have been considering an overnight dirt trip, so would be game for that. 

Would certainly be interested in an OoB trip.  We've done a 4 day trip into OR, crater lake, Bend, McKenzie Pass, Eugene then south I5 to the Klamath River and followed that into the Trinity alps.  That would be high on my list again for a 4 day trip.
Live long and prosper \V/

slmoto

I'd be up for an overnight dirt ride as well. Not sure if I'll have a street bike (that will keep you guys' pace) this coming season. If I happen to I'd be down for OoB again or pretty much anything else.

Would love to make MotoGP at some point, got so many trips falling in April this year for some reason though, so it's low on my list at the moment.

RichVee4

Found the report for our OR trip in 2015. Seems some of the maps links dont show the route anymore.   For a 4 day ride from Reno this trip is hard to beat.  Lots of windy rural roads with light traffic and beautiful scenery.  We hit some 100 temps coming home in July so need to watch for that. 

http://www.sierrasportbike.com/smf/index.php?topic=4425.0

One trip I've really been wanting to do for a few years now is a 3 day ride south 395 to Death Valley, cross over Mtn's at Lake Isabella then take 49 N along sierras and through Sequoia and Kings Canyon NP.  Good for a spring ride or fall.

Darn you GM, now I'm missing riding!   
Live long and prosper \V/

GreenMachine

Figured catching hell for bringing it up early is better than catching it for bringing it up too late.

SL, you did admirably well on several coast rides with me.  I suppose though if you're thinking of doing 400 mile days on the KLR, we could potentially drop you, but not on your 600.  I can't promise I won't drink the last of the good beer before you arrive either.  :P

Sacrilegious, Rich! You went all that way and you skipped Bucks.  :fail

We're on the same wavelength. Whether dirt of street, some overnight/several night rides would be awesome.  I always love starting out best.

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Laura600

Monica and I rode to Arcata one weekend, a little over a year ago....that was a fun one! Pretty town, good breweries!

dub

I liked the 3 day/2 night format of our OoB ride. Unfortunately I already have plans Memorial Day weekend, 4th of July weekend, AND Labor Day weekend. But I could see taking a random Friday or Monday off if someone planned something. That could be better anyway because we wouldn't have to deal with holiday weekend crowds.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019