Main Menu

4 days 1425 miles of exploring N CA and OR

Started by RichVee4, July 20, 2015, 07:25:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichVee4

Completed a 4 day trip to explore Southern/Central OR.  We bypassed most of this area last year on our trip to Canada so wanted to spend some time exploring OR.  We discovered some amazing roads some intentional some by chance but would recommend any of them.  Big surprise on Day 1 leaving Reno, we like to ride through Lava Beds National Monument in N CA but due to road work the road exiting Lave Beds on the North side was closed so we decided to head West on hwy 49.   Serene mtn road with NO traffic.  Interesting thing about the road the middle section was the best, good pavement and yellow line.   Either side of the hwy no yellow lines and less maintained.   Always a good day to see Mt Shasta.  Note: I've hiked to the top ONCE!  

https://goo.gl/maps/KqyAe
Live long and prosper \V/

RichVee4

Day 2

Left Medford and took the long way around to Eugene.   Went by Crater Lake and picked up lunch at the cafĂ© then stopped along the rim to sit and enjoy the views.  Along the way we stopped at Rogue Gorge, very cool, river travels though a gorge 25' wide at the top. Looked into staying at the Lodge at Crater Lake but booked full all summer.   Continued North and included a section of Cascade Lakes Scenic Byway before entering Bend.  From Bend we rode 242, McKenzie Summit, per Scotts suggestion and then continued to Eugene.  Beautiful views of Mt Bachelor and Three Sisters.   242 is amazing riding along and through the lava flows mixed with amazing mountain views, also minimal traffic. 

https://goo.gl/maps/4KQKN

GreenMachine

Looks like you got perfect weather for your four day trip too.  Great views and scenes.  Would have loved to experience a trip like this some day.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

RichVee4

GM, when your ready for your next multi day adventure trip just print the maps and go.  We structured it around our preferred ride schedule, leave hotel ~8am ride to ~5pm.  Check into hotel, shower then walk to dinner and have a drink and relax. 

More to come

RichVee4

Day 3
I 5 was a pleasant surprise leaving Eugene and heading South.  Nice wooded hills and sweeping curves.   I was somewhat worried about slow traffic but speed limit is 65 on I5 and everyone was going at least 10 up to 20 over.   Temps were getting hot in the Redding area 100+ so we routed along the Klamath river on 96 then took a goat road to hwy 3.     We caught up to some of the high 90's in the afternoon and riding the goat road on Scott Bar at 25mph we were cooking, engines were hot and not enough air flow to help with the cooling vests.   A first for us, we stopped and put the suits on and jumped into the river to cool down, wont be the last time we do that very recharging.   A local that rides a ural offered us accommodations but we wanted to get farther south to Weaverville so we'd have a shorter ride home Sunday.  Put the gear on over the wet suits and continued South.  

Hwy 3 north of Weaverville over Scott Pass in the Trinity Alps is a gem.  NO cars and beautiful scenery.  I guess no pics either!

https://goo.gl/maps/pbfk9

RichVee4

Day 4

Included some fun new roads from Weaverville.   Started the day having coffee at the local *bucks with two CHP officers.  Enjoyed chatting with them and mentioned our route to Reno, I know stupid, but they were cool.   Said they had two MC incidents on 36 the day prior so were slightly concerned that was our route but mentioned we've rode it a number of time already.   We finished our coffee fast and got on the road before they did and continued on hwy 3 South to hwy 36.   Again, great roads with minimal traffic.  Hwy 36 had a couple corners with significant gravel in the mtn section, glad we were following a guy towing a boat at the time.    

Overall great time and route worked well for us.   Felt somewhat rushed at times, underestimated time it would take at Crater Lake and wanted to enjoy more but takes some time to get around OR.    If only I was retired I could have spent a week doing this ride.

On the topic of beer, had one memorable IPA from Boneyard Brewery from Bend.  People mentioned it in the restaurant reviews so I gave it a try, excellent!!   Sure we missed some opportunities to see some great brewery's but will save that for another time.  Not always easy to find lodging near a brewery anyway. 

https://goo.gl/maps/QHTQK

Vegasrider

Great trip report Rich! Thanks for taking the time to share.