Main Menu

Ride to search for missing rider, Alan Porter

Started by GreenMachine, May 12, 2014, 09:08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

Can't probably go out any earlier than about noon tomorrow and it'll be a hella long day riding, but I think of the known suspect locations I think a rider could fall victim and not be found for 11 days now, I think it's worth a shot.  I'm going to start my search south of I-80, heading through Foresthill to MRR, cross the river bridge and head to the other side where there are several places riders unfamiliar with that road could have a bad going off.  If while searching I don't spot anything, I'm going to backtrack over to 49, Cool, out 193, Georgetown, over the other side of 193 to 49, back to Georgetown, WWS and south to Icehouse, ending up on hwy 50.  Lots of opportunities to get lost off-road on those routes too.  Especially Icehouse.

If anyone want's to help search these or other routes, that would help immensely.  We could split up and regroup searching all sorts of roads or start at opposite ends and meet in the middle.  I'm primarily focusing on canyon roads with corners where a rider could go off and there's very little protection or guardrails.  And these roads are isolated away from populations and general traffic.  I plan on staying out quite late, but that does not mean you have to.  It'll probably be dark by the time I finally get to hwy 50 near Fresh Pond/Icehouse road.  

It'll be several hours after that before I'm back in Reno.  Taking my camera and cellphone.

And I may try going out and doing the roads north of I-80 on Saturday too, some of the more fun ones we often frequent, some not...Mel's goat trails over by Grass Valley/Nevada City.  There's one spot in particular on the other side of Bullards Bar Damn where there's a distinct corner where nobody would ever find a downed rider.  And that whole canyon is very steep.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

May 13th Noon.  Depart Reno.  Headed for MRR as spelled out above.  

Lots of ground to cover.  Will ride these mountain roads very slowly, searching the embankments below for a blue 2004 Yamaha FZ-6 and a 6' - 3" rider with a white FF helmet.

Taking water and powerbars, just in case.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

288RR

I won't be able to leave work,  I wish I could to go help.   Ride safe GM

GreenMachine

Will do.  No worries 288.  The ride just won't be as fun as usual.  I'll be focusing on stopping a lot with my binoculars combing all those turns that have tried to bite me.

GreenMachine

Came back with a lot of nothing, other than to say that I couldn't find a single spot where there was the appearance of a bike skidding off the road.  Searched with binoculars, rode each route back-and-forth scanning both sides of the canyons when possible.  Nothing.

RichVee4

Thanks for the update and letting us know you made it back.  Nice of you to go look. Quite the mystery.   Reinforces the fact you should communicate were you are going if you ride solo.  
Live long and prosper \V/

GreenMachine

I think I have a new appreciation for tearing it up on MRR.  Screw that!

dub

Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

GreenMachine

Posing a question.  If a rider was to somehow crash into deep water (10' or more), like a lake, where in your mind do you see that happening. 

I'm trying to think of places, but none come to mind due to the complexity of what would be necessary to get both bike and rider over some barrier and keep both submerged. 

dub

There was an update posted on the Find Alan Porter Facebook page. You are missing out on it, along with a lot of other stuff, by stubbornly refusing to join in on the widely used networking resource for no good reason.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019